First time goat not take? Any experience?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AimeesGoats, Nov 10, 2020.

1. AimeesGoats

AimeesGoats New Member

Sep 21, 2020
    United States
    I have a 2-year-old doe, she was my first kid I've ever had and it was her mom's first kid as well. In May, we took her to a buck and left her there for about 45 days, but she didn't kid at all. End of October, I put her in with my buck, so hopefully, she takes this time?

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or has had this happen before? Is it just her first time, or is she a faulty doe?

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Some does are harder to breed than others. First timers are often scared, so they don't stand still for the buck. After a bunch of her moving away, he may give up. Try holding her still when she is in standing heat and have someone make sure the buck isn't too aggressive.

I'm dealing with an overly aggressive buck and a timid doe. Just as he mounts, he blubbers, scares her and she squats down to avoid him. He is frustrated and I was getting pretty irked. Darn doe!

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The other thing you have to look at are minerals. Does she get enough copper and selenium?

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All good suggestions.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Well miss Aimee. You might need to be the gentle hand of reason for both doe and buck. Like a cupid helping hand

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.