The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog breed Felidae Carnivore Ear Gesture
My buck was disbudded when I got him. I didn't even know this was something that was done to goats before now. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take care of it, how long the healing process is, or what to expect period. Another concern i have is when I google searched "disbudded goats" they didn't look the way mine looks.. so I'm not even sure if it was done correctly. Any help you can offer is much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
It looks like they may have waited just a little too long, other than that, normal looking. The hair will grow back, skin will fill in. Hope fully no scurs, which are small bits of horn that did not get burned correctly and grow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually got him from a coworker who got him as a companion for her other goat, but it didn’t work out. I was told the breeder my coworker got him from did this before my coworker picked him up, and that he is now a little over a month old. Is there any ointment or anything I should be putting on them?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also noticed he does this thing where he will press his head into my hand and just continue to push like in this picture
Dog Plant Green Dog breed Carnivore
.. is that just their way of playing?

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Personally I don't like the looks of this - especially because he is a month old and has broken areas in the skin. Proper disbudding should have been done around 3-7 days old. He looks like he is growing horns as well. I would at least put an antibiotic ointment on the skin - something like furazone or a sulfa based ointment. If you can afford it, I would have a vet look at him. I don't think reburning the hornbuds at this age would work well. Bucks will push with their heads - but you need to see if you think he is painful in the area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Before posting I looked for a vet to take him to in my area that treated goats, but after calling several different places , I couldn’t find any offices that accepted them. He doesn’t seem to be in any pain from it. He will allow me to touch and look at the area with no problem. It just looked awful to me, so I was worried.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
If you plan to keep him as a pet, you do need to castrate him. Bucks don't make good pets. He also needs a goat buddy - goats are herd animals and do much better with a friend. I would reach out to area livestock owners and see who they use as a vet - goats can tricky to raise and a good vet is a must if you aren't experienced with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I don’t care about horns. I’m only worried about the healing. I planned on having him neutered when I got him, but after not being able to find a vet, I asked around and was put in contact with someone who raises goats that is willing to band him for me. What age is the best to do it at?

·
Super Moderator
59,931 Posts
12 weeks is a good age. The problem with letting the horns go is that the will not come in normal. Just make sure they get trimmed if the start curving. Good possibility they will curve and go into his head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts