First time goat owner needs help--UPDATE-Bad first contact

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kokosnood, Apr 22, 2009.

1. kokosnood

kokosnood New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Well I got them home; but we had a very bad experience. My wife is a stroke patient, and not quick on her feet. The pygmy buck turned out to be very aggressive and attacked her and hurt her bad leg. She is going to be ok; but it was very scary for both of us. I have to grab him by the horns to control him.

The Nubian wether, on the other hand, is totally calm and easy going. I am thinking about giving away just the pygmy; but they are so attached to each other. When I separate them they will do anything to get back together.

Is it cruel to permanently separate them? Is it cruel to keep one goat? Will neutering the pygmy make him calm? I cannot have another incident like tonight with my wife. She was crying uncontrollably. I'm just glad she will be ok. I'm still upset by what happened. Please advise what to do. I want to have goats, but calm mellow ones.

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Oh my gosh, that's so scary! Give your wife a big :hug: from me. I hate to tell you but yes if you only have 1 goat they will be terribly unhappy. I would definitely wether your buck especially if you don't need him for breeding. If you rehome him you can always get another goat friend for your Nubian. It's definitely not worth your wife getting hurt.

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I agree with bheila.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I just read an article on aggressive bucks. Throw him on his back and sit on him, till he gives up fighting and lets out a big "sigh". He's trying to establish himself as the "big boss", you have to take that title. Was he aggressive at his other home? Maybe that's why they got rid of them. You may have to sit on him more than once...but if he doesn't "get it" by the 2nd or 3rd time...there is always "freezer camp". Hope you wife is OK, :hug: .

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would start looking around for a new home for the buck and find a calm young wether buddy for your current wether. They are only attached to one another because they are the only two goats you have.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes definetly get the vet out there and netuer or sell him. :hug:

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh, I am so sorry your wife had such a terrible experience! :( :hug:

I would start looking for a new home for this guy. Sometimes wethering can make a world of difference but other times, once the habits are there, they are almost impossible to break. It's really up to you whether or not you want to spend the money to have him castrated when it may or may not fix the problem. :shrug:

If you got a diffrerent goat your Nubian would "buddy up" with it and probably be just as happy as he is with his pygmy buddy. I would not recommend keeping him by himself though--goats really thrive on the companionship of other goats.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I'm so sorry that happen. Good to hear that your wife will be fine. That must have been very scary for you both. :hug:

I would find a new home for the buck and get another wether for your current goat. I am sure the problem could be solved, but I would assume that you're not attached to him yet, and already you wife is going to be frighted on him. You should be able to find a good wether for fairly cheap. I would bet that someone on here would have one for sale.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am soooo sorry about your incident with the buck.

My personal opinion - get rid of him as fast as you can. There are way to many really nice calm, well mannered animals to have to deal with something like this. Make sure the people that take him know - but I personally would never trust him again, even after trying to establish dominance doing the sit on thing (which does work, for most).

Again, there is no reason to keep an animal around that is like this, especially when someone can get very hurt. The wether will get over the seperation as long as their is another buddy with him!

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry your wife was hurt..... :( ....before you get rid of the buck ....find a replacement wether or doe.......that way... it will be easier than finding one when your wether is going nuts trying to find his friend.....The quickest way to rid yourself of that buck.... is to take him to the auction....but don't buy your replacement there....you never know what problems you may get...
    Go to a good breeder....pick out a friendly goat....you will know pretty quickly.... :wink: Good luck to you.... :hug:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree with the others, i would get rid of him. You can try the sitting on him thing. Sometimes it works. But being a year or older and having horns he could be very set in his ways. And getting a buck to respect you could be very difficult.
    It would be easier and safer for your family to getrid of him and get a nice animal. the nubian will get over it. He will grow fond of another goat you get. Goats are herd animals and when there is only one other goat around thats their herd. and they get very attached.
    beth

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    First I need to say I love ALL of my animals, but I wouldn't tolerate an agressive one. Whether its a dog, goat, or a chicken. Now that said if you don't know the history on the buck then, to me, its even more serious that he was so agressive towards your wife(glad she will be ok BTW). I agree with the others send him on and get a better pet/weed control device. I am sure you can find a nigie breeder there thats doin pets(unregistered). I wish you luck and tell your wife that the buck isn't typical of goats.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well Ditto with what mostly was said. GIT RID OF HIM. I agree, no animals is worth keeping around if it is going to hurt someone. Now if it was you I am sure you would of been able to stop him, but beings it was your wife ans she really can not defend herself, he needs to go. He might me fine at another home and not be as aggressive as he is with you.

Now sitting on him might work but again your wife can not do that and she is the one he took after. Getting him castrated just might do the job, but the word MIGHT is what is way to scary, your wife can no get hurt again like that.

Do get another goat for the wether, they are herd animals and they have to have a buddy, it can be a doe or a wether.

I sure hope your wife is ok. I am sure now she is scared to death of them.

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    First off, I am so sorry, that can be so hard to deal with and that one aggressive goat may have just given your wife permanent fear and now she may never like goats. That is very unfortunate because most are such wonderful animals. That pygmy is lucky he didn't do that to me, I probably would have beat the tar out of him. Personally, I would band him and give him away or put him down. Just make sure the new owners know what he is. This may sound harsh, but an animal aggressive as that doesn't need to be kept around, my first choice would to just have the vet put him down and be done with it. You wouldn't want a child to accidentally go into a pen with him. As for the wether, look for a wether friend for him. Like Stacey said, the only reason they're attached is because they're the only goats in the pen.

15. kokosnood

kokosnood New Member

Mar 31, 2009

I want to take him to the auction...how do I find my local auction? I am outside Paso Robles, CA. I googled it to no avail.

Also, just to confirm...it's not ok to keep just one goat, correct? I don't know how soon I could get a second one as a companion and I don't want to be cruel to the one I keep.

Thanks,
    s

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would bring home anther as soon as possible so that you can get rid of the "meany" as soon as the chance comes available.

Was he evil when you went to pick them up? Did he show aggression there?

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there are couple california people on here -- put in a request for a wether or a doeling in the forsale section and I am sure people can direct you to the nearest local breeder.

That might work to for finding the auction....I am all the way across the country so I cant help you there :sigh:

18. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I'm sure there is a good "ethnic" population there in CA...and they like the bucks...I'd put an ad up somewhere and you'd probably get rid of him pretty quickly...can you put a sign up in your yard? Can you give him back to the previous owner? How's the other one doing?

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Here is a livestock Auction possibly in Templeton Ca...Call to make sure that you can bring in 1 goat...or maybe direct you.. where you can go.... :wink:
    Also did the person that gave you the goat ...give you a scrapies tag? That is California law when selling a unregistered animal ...and you will need one ...to sell him at the Auction.....they will not take him without one... :hug:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_cb9mrf

here are the yellow pages for Livestock Auctions also
    http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Liv ... (wholesale)/-State_CA.html

20. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I may have missed it, but why not just send him to freezer camp?