The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello I’m going to be buying two kid fainting wethers this weekend and I’m wondering what I should be feeding them and a feeding schedule. I have a large fenced in area so they will have plenty of roughage to eat.

·
8,171 Posts
What age are they? Are they still nursing on the mom or bottle fed? What is the current owner feeding them? Get some of the current owners feed and hay and water, so you can slowly transition them over to whatever you will be feeding them.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:cowboy:
What she said:up:.
Ask breeder about minerals, if they have been treated for coccidia( if so, what when)and vaccinations(CD&T). Is his or her herd tested clean for CL, CAE and Johnes( pronounced yonnies) Disease.

A helpful site. Enjoy the new goats!
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/articlesMain.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What age are they? Are they still nursing on the mom or bottle fed? What is the current owner feeding them? Get some of the current owners feed and hay and water, so you can slowly transition them over to whatever you will be feeding them.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome! :) Look out for toxic herbs! Roughage is splendid, especially for males that do not work, especially if they are castrated. If you have a fresh pasture for them, be keen on never letting them poop any parasite eggs on it, then you will have much less problems in the future. (As my vet put it: "It is not really the goats you must keep free from worms, it is the pasture!")

Very nice that you joined here, we look forward to your stories and photos! You will love the little boys! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts