The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lupine Hill Farm
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought 2 nigerian dwarf doelings yesterday and while they are adorable and we love them, they're having a bit of trouble adjusting. One is 9 weeks old and the other is 5 weeks. We were expecting to have to bottle feed, but neither wants to have anything to do with a bottle. They are both eating and drinking well, but won't touch the milk. Also, they are super friendly, maybe too much so, as they are miserable if we leave them alone. They cry and cry unless we are with them. It's so sad and we are giving them as much attention as we can but at some point (like Tuesday) we have to go back to work and they will have to be alone for a few hours at a time. Any suggestions? Do we just wait them out like with puppies or babies crying? Will they eventually settle down? Also, is it ok for them not to have milk at this age? It just seems to stress them out when we try bottle feeding them.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
9 weeks is not too too young to ween..but 5 weeks is. were they bottle babies when you brought them home? maybe ask the breeder what nipple they use..did you change milk?
As for the crying, they will settle and fall into the routine you set for them. it take time...

·
Premium Member
15,209 Posts
:welcome: ...to TGS!

Congrats on your new kids! The 5 week old one definately needs milk for another few weeks at least. You want to use the same kind of teat and milk used. The crying might be from hunger alone. But if they're just lonely and want attention, they will eventually settle down. Glad you have a pair because they'll be much happier having a buddy. But ask the breeder what teat and milk they're using...you'll want the exact same for the 5 week old and may need to hold it in her mouth for a bit for her to figure it out. Sometimes they can be stubborn when changes are made.

·
Lupine Hill Farm
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention they weren't bottle babies. So they aren't used to any particular nipple. We have their mothers milk, and have tried holding the nipple in her mouth but she's pretty resistant. Any ideas on how to convince her? I don't think the crying is hunger, as they've been eating hay and dandelion greens. I'm sure ideally we wouldn't have gotten her so young but...we did, so I guess we will have to deal with it!

·
558 Posts
Definately dont give up on the little one with the bottle. It takes them awhile to get used to it. You can also try putting it in a bowl I think too. 5 weeks seems too young to wean.

·
Lupine Hill Farm
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried again and got her to take maybe a couple ounces, but it was basically force feeding. I tried some in a bowl too with no luck. Otherwise she seems healthy and strong, just would really like to be a lap goat, all the time! We just went out there again after listening to them cry for over an hour, and sat with them until they fell asleep. Now they're in their house and so far are still quiet. Very stressful for us and the poor babies!

·
Super Moderator
31,626 Posts
I wouldnt serve the milk in a bowl..they need to suckle with their head tilted so the milk goes to the right place..this link explains why
http://goat-link.com/content/view/99/86/#.UaLRNWSDQxc

Try this trick..put honey on your finger..and touch the very back on her tongue to stimulate the sucking reflex..keep doing this until she really gets sucking it...have a warm bottle ( mamas milk is perfect) with honey on the nipple ready...keep doing the honey on your finger..once she is really going at it..slip the nipple in..she will taste the honey first then the milk..might take a time or tow but this works pretty good...;)

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
I wouldnt serve the milk in a bowl..they need to suckle with their head tilted so the milk goes to the right place..this link explains why
http://goat-link.com/content/view/99/86/#.UaLRNWSDQxc

Try this trick..put honey on your finger..and touch the very back on her tongue to stimulate the sucking reflex..keep doing this until she really gets sucking it...have a warm bottle ( mamas milk is perfect) with honey on the nipple ready...keep doing the honey on your finger..once she is really going at it..slip the nipple in..she will taste the honey first then the milk..might take a time or tow but this works pretty good...;)
What happybleats suggests works. I had to do that with one of my wethers last year when I got him at a month old. It took me holding him, and honey on the finger/nipple and finally it happened. I think I only had to repeat it once, then when him and my other wether saw me he eventually came running, jump up on my lap, and bingo, the bottle was gone:)

·
Lupine Hill Farm
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. It's getting a little easier. I still have to coax her into taking the bottle but she doesn't fight as much and will actually drink some once she gets it in her mouth. Otherwise they're still super needy but are starting to get a little better. They're pretty quiet when locked in their house, but I hate to lock them in all day while we are at work. At the moment they are in their pen with access to their house and are quiet! First time. So we are thinking we will leave them and come back to check and make sure they aren't freaking out mid morning. The rain is helping, they're pretty happy in their little shelter munching on hay. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow, yours looks like 1 of my new babes! I just got Marley 3 days ago & am also a newbie to the goat world so I cant help w/"professional" advice but from personal experience...Marley was only 4 days old when we brought her home (she's 7 days today!) & she didn't really like the bottle either (prob didn't help that I didn't know wth I was doing myself lol), I had to tuck her under my arm & force her mouth open the 1st..I dunno, maybe 7 feedings (she takes a bottle 4x/day), once the nipple was in she did pretty well as long as I kept my hand against 1 side of her face so she didn't wiggle away in excitement..now she hops right up & tucks herself into my arm & takes the bottle w/o help. It's frustrating & I felt bad forcing her mouth open but, they'll get there. Patience & persistence :) Good luck! (Here's my Marley...)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts