The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a saanen doe and she is a first time freshener and I was wondering how to train her without a milk stand? I will be milking her soon so i need to know how to train her. I have been rubbing her belly and messing with her udders to try and get her use to it but it dose not seem to be working.

Also I am going to be getting a friend for her soon so what is a good breed. I want something different that a saanen.

Thanks for the help

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
btw - i'm fairly new to this as well. been milking for a few weeks now, and not too many spills!

what I did with my girl was mess around with her when she's busy eating. she's either tied to the fence or in her sleeping quarters, always with a wall to one side so she can't spin around. also, I find they tend not to squirm too much when you're doing something they like while doing something they don't like (e.g. scratching between the horns while touching udders).

I find with my girl, I find she likes routine. I milk her in the mornings only (baby gets milk the rest of the day, and I pen him up at night). I go with my warm vinegar water with a cloth, bucket and food. put the food down, wash her teats with the warm cloth then I start. I find if I don't do these things, she's not as nice to let me milk. it takes a few days/week to establish the routine, but once they know what's coming, they'll be more receptive.

I have alpine/togg/Nubian crosses. and from what I've read, all goats are good breeds! you have any good goat breeders in your neighbourhood that you can go visit with and get to know the different breeds in person?

·
2,203 Posts
I just got a saanen doe and she is a first time freshener and I was wondering how to train her without a milk stand? I will be milking her soon so i need to know how to train her. I have been rubbing her belly and messing with her udders to try and get her use to it but it dose not seem to be working.

Also I am going to be getting a friend for her soon so what is a good breed. I want something different that a saanen.

Thanks for the help
We were in the same boat when we started! We didn't have a stand. What I ended up doing was walking momma to the shed, and my boyfriend had mounted a grain pail on the wall for me. During milking (and 3 weeks before to desensitize her and get her used to he schedule) I clipped her to a short tether, brushed her down, then wiped her udder. Stripped the first three squirts on the ground to check mastitis and get rid of the bacteria plugs in the canal. Then we start milking. After she kidded in and started testing me I milked sitting next to her so she couldn't dance and milked with one hand. Now she stands great. We went out and purchased our stand, and we're milking 8 right now. They all stand wonderful. All FF.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
If you can read directions, and use power tools :D you can make a milk stand. I made mine with scrap wood and all I bought was a "hook/eye" and a few screws. It will make your life soooo much easier. I made mine in a couple of hours (and I'm a grandma...). Here is the link to the one I made http://fiascofarm.com/goats/milkstand.html. This is a great website and they have other info as well. I felt it was a little short...so I raised mine about 8-12", and now it's better for me, but the girls need a "step", a concrete block made a great one.

At first it helps to have another person stand at the front of the goat and "sweet talk" her...DH did that for me so now he's the designated "goat whisperer". I had to pick up my girls (ND) and put them on the milk stand. I told them "this is undignified" :rolleyes: so, finally they "got it" and realized there is always food up there, so now they jump right up there. They stand in line according to "seniority" and "whoa be it" to the goat that jumps to the head of the line...the other girls will beat her up when she's done.

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
all good advice here : ) for a friend..I would choose one about the same size...if you need color ( eye candy) Nubian or Lamancha offer a rainbow of color....google dairy goats breeds and see what catches your eye and meets your needs ie: amount of milk vrs butter fat ect...enjoy your saanen..they are a sweet and docile breed

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I just milked her this morning and it went great she did not kick are sit it was awesome!!! I just have to get better at milking. she has smaller teats soo it is little bit harder

·
Registered
635 Posts
Been there, done that. No thanks. Make getting a milk stand one of your goals. It's easier on your back and is useful for clipping, hoof trimming, handling sick goats, a whole bunch of stuff. Keeps your milk pail higher up off the ground and away from any potential ground contamination too.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
OK I just milked her this morning and it went great she did not kick are sit it was awesome!!! I just have to get better at milking. she has smaller teats soo it is little bit harder
Great! Soon she will be watching for you in the morning and running to the milk room. lol. They are sooo funny sometimes.

Good luck. Have you tried it yet? We love our NDgoat milk and now I have a little Saanen doe that will be bred for next spring. Can't wait!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts