first time milker question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Stacie1205, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Hi,

I milked my nigerian dwarf mama for the first time this morning.(my first and her first) So I am wondering how much I should expect to get from a FF. I seperated her from babies overnight and put them in when I was done so milking in am once daily for now. Also, after the milk is cool, will the cream seperate to the top or do you need a seperator to make this happen? We all had a sample, our first taste of goat's milk today and were impressed. Really excited to get this started :leap: . TIA!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the amount from a FF will vary some only give a cup or two while others will give much more. it also will vary depending on how far into her lactation she is.

the cream does separate SOME but not a lot. If you really want just the cream you will need to get a cream separator. The cream doesnt separate as well on its own with goats milk as it does with cows.

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Agree with Stacey about the amount. :) To separate the cream, you can let the milk sit in the refrigerator for about three days. It's what we do. It takes a while to collect enough to make butter or whipped cream though. We only get about 1 tablespoon of cream (or so) from two cups milk.

4. Stacie1205

Stacie1205 New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Thanks for the info. I got around a cup this morning with her being 4 weeks since kidding. WOW. Guess I will probably have to wait for a few more to kid in order to make butter!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What I do to collect cream for butter is to let it sit in the fridge and skim it, I then put it into a container and freeze it, adding to it until I get around a pint...with 3 mini does in milk it takes about a week to 10 days skimming cream from the milk I get with milking 2x a day.