First time milker the goat and us

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kritterkeeper, Mar 5, 2008.

1. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Hello Well we had our first baby this morning- we are milking the mom and feeding the baby with it... our question is how much milk should we be getting--
    Mom is 1/2 Nubian, 1/4 Sannan and 1/4 Alpine

the first one after the baby was born about 30 min we got 2.5 oz and have gotten about 3 to 3.5 oz since then a friend said to milk her ever 2 or so hrs to feed the baby and get her milk up-- what is your thoughts on this?

Donna B

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats not alot of milk.

what are you feeding her?

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats not a lot of milk at all.....my milkers usualkly give one quarter to one half a gallon right after kidding. Even though she is a cross breed she is all dairy goat. Does her udder feel hard or hot? she should be going up in her milk prodcution as the days go by.
    beth

4. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    That is not very much at all. My 2 year old FF Nubian gave me 14 oz. the first morning I milked her...that's not very much either, but she did have a little more that night. At about a week and a half she is up to 4-4.5 lbs. a day. I expect that she will continue to go up.

I agree with Beth...is her udder hard or hot?? And I would think she would go up in production as well...just might take a while.

5. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    yesterday was slow going- but this morning she gave 15 oz. but now she does not seem to want to eat, and it looks like she has lose stoles. We feed Kents Goat food.

Donna B

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What is the protein % of that food?

Give her 6ccs of vitamin B sub Q since she isn't eating, if you have some probios give her that also. A little pepto might not hurt if her poo is loose.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what also is her calcium intake?

15 ounces is a little better. Something isn't totaly right or she would be giving much more.

the protein % is important too. I like to feed a 16%

Pepto will help with the loose stools but you want to check her eyelids as well. IF the lower lid is pale she needs to be wormed.

If it is pink she is ok.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Suddenly increasing her grain would cause loose stools, we've done that yep. Some does just start slow, if she gave you 15 oz this am after kidding yesterday, there is good hope. I had a FF about 3 weeks ago that had nearly no udder, she is supporting happy bouncing twins, so she must be giving around half gallon a day. Hopefully your doe will get up there in a few days. I agree with giving her already recommended stuff. :) (B-vit, pro-bios, nutradrench, kaolin-pectin (like pepto but is FOR animals) alfalfa, fresh water.)
    You have good support here, and now some hope, it worked out for me. :hug:
    Congrats!!

9. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    is the baby nursing off of her at all? also you should take her temp. usually a low temp & not eating is a sigh of milk fever. i would give her every thing that was mentioned before. you can not od them on b-vit. i use the vitb comlex fortified for my alpines. also you might want to give her a little warm water with a little bit of mollases in it.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

she may need some calcium, some CMPK or even tums smashed up and mixed in with molasses. i give three or four to a one fifty lb doe.
    beth

11. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Any more news? How's your doe doing? :hug:

Di

12. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    I also have a doe that is 1/2 Nubian, 1/4 Saanen, and 1/4 Alpine. After having her kids I believe she was giving 28 cups of milk a day.
    I hope your doe is okay. Good luck!

13. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    Thank you for asking! She is EATING :cool: and giving about 40 oz a day :thumb: better then the 10 or so we were getting the first few days...

The really great thing is she loves to be milked she just stands there and eats or just watches you...

so hopefully we can keep the milk going up and we will not only be able to feed the baby but that the 2 daughter will be able to drink some soon too...

Here is a picture of the mom

Attached Files:

14. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    The picture I put in the last post is of the doe we are talking about... her name is Aja and she is the one that is 1/2 nubian, 1/4 saanna and 1/4 alpine... we say she has airplane ears..

She will be two the end of this month.

Donna B

15. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    :shocked:
    A gallon is 16 cups.
    Does your goat weigh a lot and have four teats?!!
    :)

16. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    She's a beautiful goat. We say ours has airplane ears too. :)

Yes, she's a big goat. She only produces that much for the first week or two though and then production starts to drop fairly fast. Her mom's production starts lower, but stays a lot steadier throughout her lactation.

17. kritterkeeper

kritterkeeper New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Northern, Michigan
    I am glad to say that every day we get a little bit more and there is enough for the baby (Goat) and a little for the girls to have some too! :leap:

Donna B