The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
daniel
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My goat Emma had kids a week ago, a buck and a doe. This is the first time she's kidded, and the first time I've milked. Much excitement for both of us.

The kids seem to favor one teat. When I go to milk, their favorite side is much less full than the other one. So mostly I milk out the full side.

Also, both of her teats are small, but the one on the kids favorite side is so small that it's hard to milk at all - if I get anything out of it I get a palm full of milk, because it's so short that my three fingers almost completely cover it.

So, questions: first, is it normal for the kids to favor one side so much? Second, will her teats get bigger over time? I hope so, or I'm looking at major surgery to down-size my hands... :)

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
It's best for kids to nurse both sides and usually within the first few days they will show you whether or not they are using both teats at that time you could train them to use both, it may be a bit more difficult to do now that they are older.
Teat size can increase with each freshening and with daily use..either by hand milking or by kids nursing, genetics play a role as well.

Getting a good productive technique down with milking takes time and patience by you and your doe, I have Nigerians and large hands, my does teats aren't tiny by any means but are smaller than standards and I found it easiest to encircle the top of the teat with my thumb and forefinger close to the udder, fill the teat with milk and squeeze it against my palm with my second and third fingers, with a goat...you never just squeeze and pull, you'll feel the milk in the teat similar to a water balloon and trap it there by squeezing the top of the teat closed and then push the milk out by squeezing against your palm.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts