First Time Milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by millefleur, Jun 13, 2014.

1. millefleur

millefleur New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Oklahoma
    So I just milked my nigerian goat for the first time. She put up a huge fight but I ended up getting about 5 oz of milk. I probably would have gotten more but one of her babies got out and got to her first.

After I milked I went inside and strained it through one of those wire mesh coffee filters and then dumped it into a mason jar and stuck it in the freezer. I am hoping to use this milk to help feed my bottle baby.

One thing that I realized I forgot to do is squirt the first couple squirts on the ground. I forgot all about it. All I did was wipe her down with a clorox wipe and started milking. My question is, will this be ok since I am just using the milk for the bottle baby? I can understand it probably wouldn't be ok if I was going to drink it.

Also how long will the milk last if I leave it in the freezer? What about if I leave it in the refrigerator?

Attached Files:

2. IvyMayPygmyGoats

IvyMayPygmyGoats New Member

Jan 24, 2014
    Well... Her babies have those first spurts don't they? Why can't your bottle baby?

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is fine if for a bottle baby. Good for up to a year in the freezer. Good for about 2 weeks in the fridge.