First Time to Band

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by leslie0815, Mar 6, 2009.

1. leslie0815

leslie0815 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Georgia
    With the new arrivals of 5 little bucks I hate to get rid of my first kids, so I will need to band them. I never have banded and there isn't anyone in this area I can get to help. Is it very difficult ? I am worried about doing it myself.....I don't want to do it wrong. I guess what I am asking is for some support and suggestions from you great folks.

Thanks so much for all the advice and help you have given.

Leslie :worried:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first off I would consider selling at least a couple of the wethers. 5 wethers is a lot and you can't keep kids every year unless you have acres and acres of land. Find your favorites and keep like 2 you wont feel as bad when the money comes in from the sale of the others :)

As to how to band here are some instructions:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.... :thumbup:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The first time is ALWAYS the hardest! Even after having babies born here for the last 7 years, the first one of the season to get done is still the hardest for me to do........THAT'S why DH is the one to hold them :greengrin: He has to feel my pain as well :greengrin:

It's easiest if the kid is "sitting" on his tail being held in that position and having the "holder" grab the rear legs securely apart makes the "raisins" easily accessible. The boys are more PO'd aout being held down than what they are of the banding itself.