The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I don't use Prohibit but its a pretty strong wormer and should not be dosed sooner then ten days and never given to a sick or down goat.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I use it 3 times 10 days apart. I'm currently using it in combination with Safeguard.

I don't worm very often.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't use Prohibit but its a pretty strong wormer and should not be dosed sooner then ten days and never given to a sick or down goat.
Thank you, now I'm nervous though. The goat I gave it to isn't quite sick, definitely not down, but her load was big enough that she lost weight and looks rough. I gave it to her 2 days ago and have been giving her replamin plus in addition to that. Also giving her probiotics with morning feed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use it 3 times 10 days apart. I'm currently using it in combination with Safeguard.

I don't worm very often.
I hadn't been deworming very often, once a year, until last year. I think the 70" of rain caused a lot of problems. The vet gave me synanthic back in April, she also wouldn't tell me what kind of worms they had, guess she really didn't know, but now they all have super pale membranes. Now I trust the vet even less. Won't go back there.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Did you give follow up doses of the Synanthic? Did you change any management practices to make it harder for the goat to ingest parasites?

We can't out poison them, we have to out manage them. Your vet may have given you the right chemicals, but they stayed infested through underdosing, or were reinfested.

Yeah, this weather has made things much more difficult!

So keep track of your days, and give another dose at the 10 day mark. Do your best to feed up off the ground. Consider adding daily garlic to her diet. When you give the second dose, consider adding a wormer in a different family at the same time/same schedule.

Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you give follow up doses of the Synanthic? Did you change any management practices to make it harder for the goat to ingest parasites?

We can't out poison them, we have to out manage them. Your vet may have given you the right chemicals, but they stayed infested through underdosing, or were reinfested.

Yeah, this weather has made things much more difficult!

So keep track of your days, and give another dose at the 10 day mark. Do your best to feed up off the ground. Consider adding daily garlic to her diet. When you give the second dose, consider adding a wormer in a different family at the same time/same schedule.

Good luck!
I didn't give a follow up because vet didn't explain that I should. She said 1ml per 60lbs. There weren't instructions on label for a follow up dose. I should've done more research. I don't feed anywhere near the ground, I pick up poop everyday inside their pen. They free range on 60 acres. Their room stays as clean and dry as I can keep it. I'll start with the garlic too. Thank you. Any other management practices I can implement?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
It sounds to me that the parasites survived due to underdosing, and we've all done that. That and the weather has done you in, because to me it sounds like your goats are being taken care of very well, and very close to nature. Feeding up off the ground is vital and you are doing that.

Plenty of copper will help, too. A quality mineral mix and extra copper can be essential.
And also Garlic.

Be sure you do a follow up dose, and consider adding a 2nd family of wormer when you do, because current research is showing a lot of benefit to combining 2 families.

Don't rotate wormers, (stick with what works until it no longer does) and don't worm on a schedule (except for finishing a course of worming once you start it.)

Once you finish this course of worming, have fecal done and see what still remains. There are MANY here who do their own fecal checks and you might really like to learn that.

Natural herbal worming can work, expecially when you start with a relatively clean herd and stick with their schedule (yes, with herbals you need a schedule) People here can tell you more, I don't use them myself, because I won't keep up with them.

When you make breeding decisions, start including parasite tolerance as a factor.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
good advise given : ) If you consider adding herbal parasite blends, I would check out Land of Havilah. I have used this a few years with positive results. We also use Quality Ess Oils to help. This time of year is tough and with all the rain we have gotten, we are on the battle field daily.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yes, @happybleats is definitely someone to listen to on herbals. And there are others, too. I'm not someone to listen to on that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds to me that the parasites survived due to underdosing, and we've all done that. That and the weather has done you in, because to me it sounds like your goats are being taken care of very well, and very close to nature. Feeding up off the ground is vital and you are doing that.

Plenty of copper will help, too. A quality mineral mix and extra copper can be essential.
And also Garlic.

Be sure you do a follow up dose, and consider adding a 2nd family of wormer when you do, because current research is showing a lot of benefit to combining 2 families.

Don't rotate wormers, (stick with what works until it no longer does) and don't worm on a schedule (except for finishing a course of worming once you start it.)

Once you finish this course of worming, have fecal done and see what still remains. There are MANY here who do their own fecal checks and you might really like to learn that.

Natural herbal worming can work, expecially when you start with a relatively clean herd and stick with their schedule (yes, with herbals you need a schedule) People here can tell you more, I don't use them myself, because I won't keep up with them.

When you make breeding decisions, start including parasite tolerance as a factor.

I hope this helps.
I just started them on the Supreme Goat Mineral from Co Op and will be giving everyone a dose of replamin for a few weeks. I just got a microscope a few months ago so that I can learn to do my own exams. Not quite good enough to spot much other than a strongyle. But it's a start. The buck I bought last year seems to have some resistance. I haven't dewormed him yet, he is a little over a year old. Hopefully his genetics will help, however, he has to go. He headbutts me and jumps the fence too much for my comfort. He really gave me some beautiful babies this year though! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good advise given : ) If you consider adding herbal parasite blends, I would check out Land of Havilah. I have used this a few years with positive results. We also use Quality Ess Oils to help. This time of year is tough and with all the rain we have gotten, we are on the battle field daily.
I did a little bit of an experiment with essential oils with the babies this year. I gave them the lemongrass, digeszen, orange and oregano blend once a week starting them at 2 weeks old. Out of 15 babies i ended up having to deworm with chemicals all except 2. I heard that black walnut is good for them as well. I've been cutting limbs and feeding everyone the leaves this week. I'm more interested in natural dewormers and will continue researching that. Especially once I get these parasite loads out of here!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
In my opinion, essential oils are not suitable without herbs. The essential oils and worms work together -- and separately they are not always strong enough for the tough worms.

Routine, is also very important.

Land of havilah's is great. I use Fir Meadow herbs because one of my goats is allergic to one of the ingredients in LOH's formula. But I think LOH is the superior formula.

Garlic, EO's, and herbs, are how I keep my goats worm free. However it does next to nothing if your goats are copper deficient. Maria's advice may not be on herbs, but her copper opinions for deworming are extremely well stated.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@Heather Bradley IMO you've chosen an excellent mineral mix. A separate salt lick will help now. I'm sorry your current buck is proving to be a "butt" head!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my opinion, essential oils are not suitable without herbs. The essential oils and worms work together -- and separately they are not always strong enough for the tough worms.

Routine, is also very important.

Land of havilah's is great. I use Fir Meadow herbs because one of my goats is allergic to one of the ingredients in LOH's formula. But I think LOH is the superior formula.

Garlic, EO's, and herbs, are how I keep my goats worm free. However it does next to nothing if your goats are copper deficient. Maria's advice may not be on herbs, but her copper opinions for deworming are extremely well stated.
Yeah, I definitely learned in my experiment that eo's alone aren't enough. How did you figure out your goat was allergic?

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I did a little bit of an experiment with essential oils with the babies this year. I gave them the lemongrass, digeszen, orange and oregano blend once a week starting them at 2 weeks old. Out of 15 babies i ended up having to deworm with chemicals all except 2. I heard that black walnut is good for them as well. I've been cutting limbs and feeding everyone the leaves this week. I'm more interested in natural dewormers and will continue researching that. Especially once I get these parasite loads out of here!
Did you have to treat the kids for coccidia or other parasites? I have not tried the Eos without the combo of herbal. I do however give on different days..Tuesday Eos, friday Herbal. I still use Totrazuril for coccidia. I just don't want to risk the kids to the possibility of the herbs and eo's not working..but many do count just on the naturals and are very successful.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Yeah, I definitely learned in my experiment that eo's alone aren't enough. How did you figure out your goat was allergic?
He got a throat irritation (choking, coughing) when I used a product for coccidia called Kochi Free. I love the product, and don't regret using it. My other goat was fine with it, no problems. I figured he was allergic to something in it. Then I used LOH's formula and he started getting the same symptoms, though minor. I compared both and the one thing they had in common was Pau D'Arco. I thought it was black walnut that they had in common, but had the wrong ingredients list lol. Turns out it is Pau D'Arco.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Did you have to treat the kids for coccidia or other parasites? I have not tried the Eos without the combo of herbal. I do however give on different days..Tuesday Eos, friday Herbal. I still use Totrazuril for coccidia. I just don't want to risk the kids to the possibility of the herbs and eo's not working..but many do count just on the naturals and are very successful.
I haven't used EO's for cocci. I used an herbal tincture, Kochi Free, and GI Soother from FirMeadow. I deworm more instinctually than I do on a schedule. So weekly specific days don't work for me.

I often give the herbs and EO's together.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only treated for parasites. I've been very fortunate for the last two years with no coccidia outbreaks in my kids and lambs. Not sure how I got away with that. Maybe the goat gods decided they put me through enough last year and wanted to give me a break on that. Lol!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He got a throat irritation (choking, coughing) when I used a product for coccidia called Kochi Free. I love the product, and don't regret using it. My other goat was fine with it, no problems. I figured he was allergic to something in it. Then I used LOH's formula and he started getting the same symptoms, though minor. I compared both and the one thing they had in common was Pau D'Arco. I thought it was black walnut that they had in common, but had the wrong ingredients list lol. Turns out it is Pau D'Arco.
Gosh, I hope I have the good sense to think like that in a similar situation. I just checked out your givinggoat website. Looks like information I can use! I signed up for your blog! Yay! Do you happen to have a recipe using black strap molasses to help with anemia?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts