First Time Vaccinations - Needle ???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AngelGoats, Mar 11, 2010.

1. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Hello all! Well this is the first time I will be giving vaccines, I know what to give and how much, the only question left is what size needle? Can anyone help?? Thanks! :?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    For vaccines you can pretty much use whatever needle size you are comfortable using. I usually use a 20 or 22 gauge needle.

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I like 22 guage 1 inch needle (1/2 inch are too short- right Ashley!)

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    lol yes, 1/2 inch are pretty short. They are ok for giving Vaccines, but drawing blood.. no way!

5. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok, I understand the length part, what about the guage, what is that?

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That is the width of the needle, how big the opening is. The bigger the number the smaller the opening.

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The diameter of the needle. If you go to a stre such as trator supple and look at the different needles it is very obvious which ones you will like. Some are so thick and HUGE! (not for goats!)

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    There you go, the word diameter would not come to me this morning. :coffee2:

Some of the big ones you may need to eventually use, I have some 16 gauge sitting around for when I really need them, like bloat or giving Calcium SQ. But dang they are big. :shocked:

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use 18 on most everything. It is becasue my stepmother is on Home dialysis and she gets thousands of them sent to her and she could not use them all up. I also keep some 20 on hand.

10. AngelGoats

AngelGoats New Member

Jan 27, 2010
  11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    No Problem. :thumb: