The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish we had a vet close by, but we don't. Had a doe stressed out all fall and winter. She lost her status in the Trip. She was near the top and went right to the bottom. She had last year's twins with her all year, got pregnant and kidded this spring. She ignored the kid and we lost it. She got depressed and blank stared alone from the Trip all day. Bloated a few times after the birth, then started losing weight FAST! Today she started with the diarrhea. This all happened over a few weeks. I culled her today and took a look around inside. When I cut her open, you would have thought I turned on a water hose. Clear fluid poured out of her ... and a lot of it! All organs looked normal. What would cause Ascites? Anyone with a confirmed Johnees goat present with Ascites?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wish we had a vet close by, but we don't. Had a doe stressed out all fall and winter. She lost her status in the Trip. She was near the top and went right to the bottom. She had last year's twins with her all year, got pregnant and kidded this spring. She ignored the kid and we lost it. She got depressed and blank stared alone from the Trip all day. Bloated a few times after the birth, then started losing weight FAST! Today she started with the diarrhea. This all happened over a few weeks. I culled her today and took a look around inside. When I cut her open, you would have thought I turned on a water hose. Clear fluid poured out of her ... and a lot of it! All organs looked normal. What would cause Ascites? Anyone with a confirmed Johnees goat present with Ascites?
Questions: What do you mean when you say "she lost her status in the Trip"? Did you ever take her temperature? what was it? What did you do for her (treatments you administered) during this decline health? did you treat her for the bloat? with what? What was her FAMACHA? Were you supplementing her with mineral? Selenium? Why are you suspecting Johnes disease? Have you had other goats diagnosed with this? Just trying to help figure out what you did and what other factors might be involved in why she died.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Questions: What do you mean when you say "she lost her status in the Trip"? Did you ever take her temperature? what was it? What did you do for her (treatments you administered) during this decline health? did you treat her for the bloat? with what? What was her FAMACHA? Were you supplementing her with mineral? Selenium? Why are you suspecting Johnes disease? Have you had other goats diagnosed with this? Just trying to help figure out what you did and what other factors might be involved in why she died.
Status .. She went to the bottom of the pecking order. For the bloat she got Bloat meds. Her eyes were pink, and post mortem examined for worms, which I found none. Yes, she was supplemented etc. No, I never took her temp. I asked about Johnees because someone called me about a big name breeder that they got goats from whereby a few of the goats the bought had Johnees. I also got goats from them eight years ago (from the big name breeder), but haven't had any other signs of a wasting goat than this one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts