First time

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Coraxfeather, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    This is the first time I have ever Debudded goats. I cried when Dude let out a ear pircen scream. Do you ever get over want to scoop them up and tell them that is it going to be alright?? The smell was horrible. Could not go though have tasha's done so she still has buds. Was going to ahve Pani's blunted but chicken out again. All the little ones I took care of this year that needed there done I was there with a bottle for them after they where done. I still remember there cries. I think when I have my own herd that I am going to love haven horns on my little guys or not be there when they are done. My little guys right now are running around with purple head due to blue coat.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I dislike hurting them but when i can still cuddle them close without fear of loosing an eye..........then it makes it all worth it. The younger you do it the quicker they bounce back. They are running and jumping and playing right away. I figure it is worth the little bit of pain I have to inflict

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have a small "herd" of Cashmere goats, that are not disbudded. I'll tell you, it can get pretty scary with all those horns, they are like swords! I ALWAYS wear eye protection when I feed, they don't try to "stick" you, but accidents happen. I don't let my grandkids feed them, they love to feed the Nigerians, who are "disbudded".

We were a little wimpy with the last kids (Oct), they have scurs, I'll probably have to band them. So, we made sure we did this group better. It does get easier, Hubby hates the smell too. We did Pippi's little doeling, and he went into the pen later and she was jumping all over him, so they don't hold grudges!