The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Its been a long time since I posted but all is well on the farm. I recently expanded my little herd of goats to include a pair of pregnant does who are due on April 1st and 2nd respectively. They are settling into the farm very well and the wethers are learning to play nicely with them.

I'm completely new to goat kidding and appreciate any advice. I'm currently putting the finishing touches on their kidding stalls. When should I start to introduce them to their stalls? Should they be confined to the stalls all the time during the week of their due dates? Any other suggestions are most welcome!

Here are some photos of the new gals, Dixie the black and white and Caddy the multi-colored.

The day they came home

The whole herd through the gate!

·
14,615 Posts
Beautiful goaties you got there & your set up is just great!

We all handle kidding time a little different, I put mine in at the very last minute,I have a couple that give me no warning till kids on the ground. :hair:

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Some nice, healthy looking goaties you have there! I don't usually put mine in the kidding stall till they are showing signs of kidding. Or if I need to watch them on the camera, then they go in at night.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I love your set up!!!!! I also wait until the very last minute- but I am home during the day and watch my goats like children!

·
Registered
135 Posts
They are gorgeous!

I agree with everyone else. I will put them in at the very last minute and they usually stay in the kidding pen to bond for about 3 or so days...depending on the situation. I would however have everything ready (water bucket, hay, fresh straw, etc.) so you are not scrambling around when the time comes. It is also nice to get together a kidding kit with everything your might need. Again...better to have it all ready and there when you need it. I like to give my does warm molasis water after they kid...they usually love it and it replaces sugars and electrolytes lost during kidding. Have some towels to help dry off kids and iodine to dip their navels. I could go on and on but you get the picture! I also have a baby monitor so if they kid during the night, I can go down to make sure everything goes okay. I am also home during the day so I spend a lot of time observing them.

Have the pregnant does had their CD/T booster? This should be given about 3 or so weeks from their kidding date.

Any other questions? Please feel free to ask=)

·
14,615 Posts
KGW is right on the money. Have your 7% iodine ready dip the navels right away. If you use rubber gloves you wont get stains.
Make sure the wax plugs in her teats are gone by you milking a squirt from each side.
As soon as kids & Mama Doe are settled in dont forget to worm Mama & again in 10 days.
Iodine for navels & worming Mama are crucial.
Happy kidding!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yep...Nancy...thanks for adding to my list. There is so much and it is almost second nature now that I do not even think about it!

Also if you ear tag...the first week is a really good time. They can run over to nurse mom when you are done and tend not to hold it against you. Make sure you treat the ear before ear tagging...I use Superlube! LOVE it! I use it for tagging, banding, etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and help!!! :hug: :hug:

I'm getting my kidding kit together now with all of the items you mentioned. I've got my gloves, iodine, lubricant, towels and assorted other things piled up by the back door at the moment hopefully those things and assorted other necessities will make it to the kidding stalls soon!

The gals both were boostered for CD&T on the 28th of Feb, and they got their Selenium shot last Sunday so hopefully the kids will be protected until their first boosters post kidding.

I'm so excited and so nervous! Thank you all for being so supportive and helpful! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts