The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time owning goats, we bought boots and she was already prego. I am thinking she may be ready to birth soon but she is not really people friendly and I can't really tell. I have read all about it but thought it couldn't hurt to ask!! We have moved her away from the billy and into a spot a bit warmer. I don't want to spend the entire night checking on her if it is unnecessary. She is chewing, not really grinding her teeth but more like a soft chewing. And she was acting distant from the others and they were all picking on her - not letting her eat, chasing her away - which is why I decided to move her over today. I an see her belly moving, I would love to touch but she won't allow it, Any ideas of how to tell when she is ready without touching her, since that is a fight and I don't want to stress her out.

Attachments

· Registered
6 Posts
How dose her udder look? With our alpines they start filling up about a week or so before kidding and a day or so before it starts to look kinda pink and shiny. If you can get close to her and fill her tendons at her tail that will give you a lot better idea. If you look at her back end imagine a peace sign and on either side of the tail is a tendon that feel sorta like hard rubber bands when they loose their tendons they have about 12 hours or so till kidding.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her udders I can't really see too well but I will go out and try giving her treats and see if she will let me get a glimpse. I have noticed that they are hanging down farther than they were 2 weeks ago, like maybe they are filling up? And when we put her on the leash today my boyfriend looked under her tail and he said she is a lil swollen in her "area" but not too much? And I have heard about the tail area and seeing if it is more relaxed but she won't let me touch her... I just finally got her to let me feed her treats out of my hand a few weeks ago. :-(

· Registered
6 Posts
Your welcome.
The udder will also look tight like it is supper full.
You are going to want to try work with her a lot so she will be hopefully somewhat comfortable with you in case you have to help her.
Also when she dose give birth make sure the kids nose and mouth are cleaned out well to reduce liquid going into the lungs.
We clean off face and let mom clean the rest.
it is very important that the kids eat as soon as possible. so when our does finish kidding we put kids to teats and make sure they eat as much as possible it won't eat much but it just makes us feel better knowing that it has ate cause they need the colostrum in their stomach to keep them strong.

· Premium Member
22,982 Posts
With first fresheners, they don't seem to have those large very full udders that you see in successive freshening's but even with a full winter coat, you would definately see a difference in how her udder and teats look. Some young ladies will grow to the size of a grapefruit and some the size of a small cantalope, you will notice though that regardless of the size, the teats and the area around them will be free of hair, showing skin as they prepare to feed kids.

I agree with Nancy D too... don't stress her too much by attempting to be touchy feely with her now, wait until she is ready to deliver, once you have touched those new borns, allow mama to clean your hands, talk to her the entire time and as she is cleaning her kids, pet her and talk to her, she'll learn to trust you. Also... once she has bonded with her kids and they have nursed, pick them up and cuddle them with her in the stall, she'll realize that you are "ok" and the more you cuddle the kids, the friendlier they are :)

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She still seems pretty calm, not restless at all and I am out of college for the week so I have been spending time just sitting next to the pin talking to her and listening to the weird sounds of her belly :) I think I may still have a little time.

Attachments

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do y'all think she is pygmy? Lady I got her and 2 Billy's from - one in my profile photo - said she was and then we have squeekers shown In picture attached and she was from someone else but is pygmy... Just thought I would ask an get opinions while I was on here bugging people with silly questions anyway :)

Attachments

· Premium Member
22,982 Posts
The first doe you pictured looks to be more Nigerian Dwarf than pygmy, her color is not one that is found with pure bred Pygmies.
Squeekers has a classic belted agouti pattern that is seen with Pygmies BUT I also had a doe here who was a purebred, triple registered Nigerian Dwarf with the same
agouti( roaned) pattern with white.
I can't really tell with your avatar pic of the buck, it's too small for me to see :(

When ANY goat is bought without registration or pedigree, assume that it is a mixed breed and yours look to be Pygerians :) I personally have 3 here myself, Teddy, Angel and Heidi though Teddy and Angel show the common color characteristics of ND, Heidi looks like a Light Carmel pygmy.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh thought of another question... My boyfriend had goats when he was younger and says he doesn't remember ever giving them any type of shots or having to help then with birthing at all. I'm assuming he was young and his parents did these things without his knowledge. But I want to be sure I'm giving them what they need, I have read they should have baking soda available? And a salt block, obviously water, sweet feed, and hay.. What shots do they need and when. I'm especially curious about the mama and babies we will have soon. But also good to know for the others.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.