First Weaning, how do I help her dry up?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Schroeder_Farms, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Schroeder_Farms

Schroeder_Farms New Member

May 14, 2018
    I got two Alpine Boer cross does 1.5 years old, both nursing little girls. The girls were quite large and clearly needed to be weaned so we moved them to a new pen. Even though I never saw the girls nursing they must have been because both mamas are engorged on one side. I took them both to the milking stand last night and milked them a little bit just to relieve some pressure. I’m trying to use mom logic here, but if I leave them be, they will dry up on those own correct? Like a human mother? I probably sound crazy lol! They don’t seemed to be bothered by it but I know how much it hurts having been there a couple of times ;). Any advice would be awesome!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. Milk enough to relieve pressure. Stop any grain.

Schroeder_Farms likes this.

3. Schroeder_Farms

Schroeder_Farms New Member

May 14, 2018
    Ok, so all of my girls get 1 cup of all stock and a half cup of cracked corn twice a day. So do I stop giving her all of it and just leave the free range hat and water? I feel so dumb, but if I don’t ask I’ll never know :)

4. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Make sure the doelings can’t nurse through the fence anymore (I’m assuming that’s how they did before?).

I always just dry off cold turkey, without milking at all, but since their kids got to them you may want to just continue with what you’re doing, milking out just enough to relieve the pressure. I’d do it every other day if possible, then less and less often as they start drying off. They’ll dry off completely eventually.

Schroeder_Farms likes this.