The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be my first winter with goats .
They currently have pens where they can completely get away from wind and rain , and they’ll have a barn by January ( this is California , and winters are mild - they should be okay til January without a barn ) .

Today is warm , but very windy - and I noticed my goats aren’t even inside their pens . They are out and about . They naturally go in their pens when it’s cold at night but I have heard wind is bad for goats . Opinions ? I don’t want them getting sick but I also don’t want to lock them in their pens if they would rather be out and about .

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
So what do they currently have for shelter?

I dealt with winter with goats that refused to use their shelter. They had an overhang, which they did use, but never went into the 4x6 house underneath that. The first time they actually did, was a nighttime snowstorm that went below 0 temps.

When goats get fluffy winter coats, they seem to do really well managing the cold.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When goats get fluffy winter coats, they seem to do really well managing the cold.
Yes! I learned recently that the snow we see on their backs is an indication of just how well insulated they are under all that hair. Very cool.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have one that does not have a great winter coat (my mini Nubian).
Here in Manitoba it got down to -30 Celsius (-20F) inside the barn last winter. At that point I put a merino wool shirt on her, and a wool sweater over that. When it warmed up to -25 C (-10F), I would take it off again. All our Nigerian Dwarfs were fine, if a bit white around the nose in the morning, from their breath. They still went outside most days for an hour or two, just not when it was super cold. They know to find the shelter from the wind when they need it.

·
8,168 Posts
Make sure they have plenty of fresh, clean non frozen water. For some reason, water seems to be the forgotten item in winter animal care. Mine love warm (almost hot)water anytime, especially in the winter!

With freezing temps, etc. they will learn to drink all they can two or 3 times a day when you bring it out. They cannot get enough licking ice.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
All great advice.

Goats do need shelter, no drafts, must have, plenty of bedding, good feed and access to water.

On really cold days/nights, you can close them in, but make sure, there is ventilation as well.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Make sure they have plenty of fresh, clean non frozen water. For some reason, water seems to be the forgotten item in winter animal care. Mine love warm (almost hot)water anytime, especially in the winter!

With freezing temps, etc. they will learn to drink all they can two or 3 times a day when you bring it out. They cannot get enough licking ice.
Unfortunately this year, I don't have access to a tap with hot water. We also don't have electricity in the barn for a heated bucket. So my new plan, get a heated bucket and plug it in where there is electricity, have it waiting during the day, and then I'll fill their buckets with that water throughout the day.

·
Registered
60 Posts
----- Mine love warm (almost hot)water anytime, especially in the winter!
One of our boys was so obsessed with guzzling down the warm water he gave himself kidney problems. As a 2 month old he would literally drink a gallon of water in one sitting if it was warm. At first we thought it was funny... until we noticed blood in his urine :eek:mg:. We had to go back to "cold" water after that. He's perfectly fine now, only has a 'drinking problem' when it's hot water, What a doofus!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts