The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks - I know there are a gazillion fish tail threads out there, and i looked, but i didn't see this particular question, so I'm asking. 8)

I've had my 2 goats for a few weeks. The older doe (11.5 years old) was just in heat, but it also looks like she's getting fish tail. At first I thought maybe the hair separation was due to all the wagging and a little discharge from her heat, but her heat has passed, and her tail looks the same. She was born and raised at the farm where I got her, and she never had any problems there. (her old owner is a good friend of mine).

Now it looks like my 3 month old doeling may also be getting it?

So my question is two fold...how fast can fish tail develop? Can it develop in a matter of only a few weeks? I am feeding them Purina Goat Chow which should have some maintenance copper amounts in it. Loose minerals. Good quality hay that has had nutritional analysis done, and tons of browse and pature.

My other question is that her fish tail seems be oriented up and down. More like a shark (vertical) than a dolphin/whale (horizontal). Does that happen? The photos i've been able to find of it seem to always be horizontal, but my doe(s) seem to be vertical?

I feel like an overreactive overprotective goat mommy!!

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, both goats are current on their vaccines and dewormings. Both are clean and healthy otherwise. Both are ND. 8)

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Purina Goat Chow really doesn't have much copper to make much of a difference. What mineral are you using? How much copper is in it? I have to copper bolus my girls 3-4 times per year despite having a good loose goat mineral out for them. You have to look at all factors, do you have high iron in the water? Iron binds with copper so copper isn't absorbed as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We just had our well tested last year, and it didn't have high iron content. Actually nice iron. I'm using the Manna Pro goat minerals. It has 1350 ppm.

The baby has never been bolused. I'm guess the older doe hasn't been in years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anybody else? I was mainly wondering if it could come up so quickly after bringing her to my house. She was born and raised on the other farm, and I modeled my feeding program after my friends. So inside of 10 days she gets fishtail at my place?? Does that seem possible?

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
Yes, it is possible. Your farm isn't the same as the other farm even if it is right down the road. Don't be surprised if you have to copper bolus once or twice a year. Most people do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts