The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 9 goats. 1 buck & 8 does. All different ages. Mostly boer crosses. They have free range to pasture & 7 acres of woods. They have free range to a mineral feeder. ( we made sure we got the minerals for goats not goat and sheep)
My problem is most of them are starting to get a "fish tail". Can anybody give me any advise on how to include more copper in their diet?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Your gonna have to give them copper. I get the big boluses for cattle and break it down then give it to my girls. If you look on here so many people have so many different ideas on how to give it. I just simply put into a smaller bolus and use a balling gun.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just went to a breeder to purchase goats. She had told me that the kid I purchased could use a little bit more copper. We started talking and she had said that her friend was giving her goats "Red Cell" every month. Just a few cc's when she was trimming her goats hooves. I just started this month and cannot give any opinions on doing it yet, but the friend had said that her goats' coats are gleaming. So far, I have not seen any differences but it has only been a few weeks.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I dont think red cell would fix the copper problem. From my understanding red cell is high in iron and iron messes with the goat processing copper. Someone jump in if Im wrong here.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
red cell has copper in it, but likely not enough, especially once a month. Jessica84 is correct in saying iron binds copper.

HalfAChanceFarm, you guys probably don't notice a copper issue b/c you've provided so many other fantastic supplements.

boyd59, if you live in a copper deficient area, you'll have to bolus. if you search through the forum, you'll find lots of information on bolusing.

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I still have to copper bolus even with a good mineral. We are just too copper deficient

Red cell is for anemia and has more iron in it so that won't help with copper deficiency.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts