The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing that my doeling may be developing a fish tail. Is this what that looks like?
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3258.JPG
So copper deficiency. I figured I would have to deal with this. So will copper bolusing be in order?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Yes, that is the start of a fish tail, the very start.

But you have had coat signs for a little while now, I can see.

Look at your first picture above. Notice how the upper parts of the legs, upper meaning above the knees and hocks, have a brown tinge to them? And the neck hairs are fuzzy?

And in your second picture, you can see the coarse, wirey hair on the hind legs?

Those have been coming on, before the signs reach the tail.

Yes, I'd definitely give copper now. It isn't bad at all. You caught this early.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello. I have been on here before about copper deficiency in my goats. I gave (attempted to give) a copper pill to them. After we were done I found one of the pills on the ground. Ugh. This is a pic of their tails. I have noticed that the one I was the most worried about seems to be improving. He is dancing when he runs again. His color is back. So is his appetite
20190522_091531.jpg
Screenshot_20190522-091433_Photos.jpg
So I'm assuming he got his pill. How dangerous would it be for me to attempt to give the other goat another dose.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@Motherof5 We can't give a definite answer until we know a few facts.

What kind of a copper pill was it? Was it a copper oxide copper bolus for livestock? Or a human pill of some other form of copper?

How many grams was the pill?

How long ago did you give it?

How much do your goats weigh?

Don't be scared. Chances are it would be just fine. But it would be irresponsible for us to not find out more before saying.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oops time for me to give more copper! I gave mine a bolus about 5 months ago and was pleased how much better they looked than when I got them. Based on mariarose comments mine look way worse than the goat in the picture ;(

We also just changed their minerals to something that isn't just salt. How long does it take for the signs of copper deficiency take to fade?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Oops time for me to give more copper! I gave mine a bolus about 5 months ago and was pleased how much better they looked than when I got them. Based on mariarose comments mine look way worse than the goat in the picture ;(

We also just changed their minerals to something that isn't just salt. How long does it take for the signs of copper deficiency take to fade?
I've heard at least a few months. 6 months is the longest. Dont quote me on this its just what I've read on this forum and from replys on my thread for a mineral deficient goat I have.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But you have had coat signs for a little while now, I can see.
I've actually only had them for a week so I am still figuring out what is normal or not so it's good to know that the brown tinge and coat consistency is an indicator, and not just what they look like!:oops: It's so hard not having anything to go off of. My other do may be developing one as well, should I give her a bolus as well? Also I don't actually have any on hand. The ones on Amazon, come in dosage for adults or kids, my girls are three and four months old, which dosage is appropriate?

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your new to goats (as am I!) The biggest thing I learned was to check your goat minerals. The stuff I bought at first was labeled as goat minerals but it was about 80% salt.

You want to look for a loose mineral mix that's high in copper and no more than about 20% salt.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I've actually only had them for a week so I am still figuring out what is normal or not so it's good to know that the brown tinge and coat consistency is an indicator, and not just what they look like!:oops: It's so hard not having anything to go off of. My other do may be developing one as well, should I give her a bolus as well? Also I don't actually have any on hand. The ones on Amazon, come in dosage for adults or kids, my girls are three and four months old, which dosage is appropriate?
I think its more based on weight 1 gram for every 22lbs.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your new to goats (as am I!) The biggest thing I learned was to check your goat minerals. The stuff I bought at first was labeled as goat minerals but it was about 80% salt.

You want to look for a loose mineral mix that's high in copper and no more than about 20% salt.
That's very good advise, but I at this point I think I have a pretty good mineral mix. If anything it's a little low on salt! It's one that is manufactured by my local CO-OP store so it's even formulated for my area, but I think it could be a little low on copper.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@MellonFriend It is certainly difficult when a doe is new to us to know for certain what is normal and what is a problem. I meant no offense, only to point out very early signs to people who might need to know. It can take forever to fix a deficiency once the liver is completely out!

I'll give a larger dose sooner (of copper oxide boluses) over a smaller dose later any day.

Others will disagree.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
@MellonFriend It is certainly difficult when a doe is new to us to know for certain what is normal and what is a problem. I meant no offense, only to point out very early signs to people who might need to know. It can take forever to fix a deficiency once the liver is completely out!

I'll give a larger dose sooner (of copper oxide boluses) over a smaller dose later any day.

Others will disagree.
I completely agree!!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Others will disagree.
No offense was taken Mariarose (thumbup). I'm not sure what you mean about the dosage, are you saying that I should give her a larger dose if now if I have it because, I don't have any copper boluses and need to order them pronto. Do you think she can wait the amount of time needed to ship them here? She's eating good, acting normal, and has just started eating the mineral mix that I have out which has min max of 1700 ppm - 2100 ppm of copper.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My statement about the dosages was trying to answer the following...
My other [doe] may be developing one as well, should I give her a bolus as well? ...
The ones on Amazon, come in dosage for adults or kids... which dosage is appropriate?
Your other doe can probably handle a dose, even though you weren't thinking about it yet... and I'll always go with a larger dose of copper oxide boluses. I believe those kid sized doses are a waste of time, money, irritate your does, and to no avail.

I'm also admitting others feel differently and want to give a pinch here and a pinch there.

I'd be interested in the copper form inside your mineral mix.

And you need a separate salt lick too. Don't deny them their salt, and don't try to make the mineral mix take over both jobs.

That's what I am saying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts