The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of our goat are starting to get fish tails. They have free choice minerals already and there coats look really good and alot have shiny coats. Could i hit them with some multimen? They all had a dose 3 - 4 months ago. Could i give them 1/2 a dose instead since its only been a few months? Or should i just order some copper bolus? If i should get some were do you guys get yours?

·
2,203 Posts
What's your iron like at your place? Old pipes?

I'd hit them with copper bolus and start sprinkling copper sulfate in their daily ration.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its almost breeding season for us so i was thinking of just hitting them all again with a tad lower dose of multimen because it was only 3 - 4 months ago.... My question is would that be ok?

·
2,203 Posts
Multimin wouldn't hurt but still bolus them again.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I got cattle boluses from my vet, opened them up, weighed out the correct amount (1 gram per 22 lbs) and gave it to mine.I've heard you can get goat-sized ones from Jeffers supply.

·
2,203 Posts
I got cattle boluses from my vet, opened them up, weighed out the correct amount (1 gram per 22 lbs) and gave it to mine.I've heard you can get goat-sized ones from Jeffers supply.
Yup! I do the same. I add copper sulfate to mine as well.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just hit 18 of the 21 with multimen and will do the bucks tomorrow. The copper bolus from jeffers in my thoughts is expensive and on back order right now so ill have to wait awile anyways. Thanks for all of the advice

·
2,203 Posts
Is it the tail or the hair? Any examples? Sorry i have one that sounds like that might be what she has.
Basically the end of the tail hair is split. You can see the middle of the tail itself through the split. They lose their hair just in the middle of the end of the tail. Make sense?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes thanks. That sounds like what mine has. Do you think it will go a way without any injections or anything if i start giving them the loose minerals that I have been meaning to give them?

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I am having massive problems with copper here, too. The iron in the water is so high you could smelt a sword out of a bucket of the stuff. Ok, maybe a bit of an exaggeration. But the iron is high because there is so much iron in the soil (iron mining is an economic powerhouse of the area, little surprise!), and places are named Iron Mountain, Iron River, Ironwood, etc.

Anyway, I copper bolus with copper oxide. I use my black goats are a barometer of sorts. And it still isn't working like I'd like. I personally just ordered some Multimin 90 from Vetserv to give my goats an injection, a boost. Plus, if zinc is an issue, it'll give them some more of that.

Yes thanks. That sounds like what mine has. Do you think it will go a way without any injections or anything if i start giving them the loose minerals that I have been meaning to give them?
If they are getting NO loose minerals at all, then giving them access to free choice loose minerals may solve the problem. You might even want to top dress their feed with a sprinkle, to ensure they eat it. They are probably deficient if they've been getting no minerals.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I just hit 18 of the 21 with multimen and will do the bucks tomorrow. The copper bolus from jeffers in my thoughts is expensive and on back order right now so ill have to wait awile anyways. Thanks for all of the advice
Where do you get the multimen and how much copper is in it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts