Fish thread?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Kass, Aug 12, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

We actually had a twenty gallon filter on our 10 gallon. I don't think that would too much of a problem. Bettas come in lots of varieties. Maybe you can get lucky and find an unusual one.

Look into apistogrammas (I think I'm spelling that right) and Kilifish. I could not find these in my area, but they are both a small centerpiece fish.

Kass likes this.
  2. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    How big do they get? Do they have to be kept in pairs?

3. MellonFriend

I really don't know much about them but a quick google says that apistogrammas should be kept in male female pairs and get up to 3.5 inches so they're probably out.

I believe you can have only one male killifish. They are only 1-2 inches so they would be fine. They are gorgeous and come in many colors.

4. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Ok. I have a new idea.
    -2-3 Male guppies. ( if you have experience, tell me if that is wrong) to prevent breeding
    - 5 panda Cory's.
    -2 snails
    -2 shrimp
    - Sand substrate ( if I can find some inexpensive) .
    -Rocks and log to Plant Java moss+fern onto.
    -weekly water changes
    - 15 gal filter

* can I keep just 2 guppies? Is 3 or 4 better?
    * can the plants only feed off of waste if planted in the substrate? If so, what plant has the same water parameters as Java, and also likes sand substrate?
    *I was thinking the snails and shrimp would only have the combined bio-load of about 1 fish. So that's what I'm counting them as. That's 3 guppies, 5 cories, and 1 fish. 9 in a 10 gal. Does that work?

Ashlynn and MellonFriend like this.
  5. MellonFriend

I believe that guppies should be kept at a ratio of one male to two females. I don't know if males will fight. I have only ever had one at a time. @Tanya what do you think?

What's the exact model of your filter?

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Mellon and Kass. I have a 5 gallon pump in my small tanks. In my 6 foot I gave a 15 gallon filter.

Male guppies dont fight with each other. You can have 1 male to every 3 females. If you are show breeding like me that is my ratio per set.
    Kass you can do a 25% water change every second week. If your filter system is good that will be all you need. My 6 foot gets changed every 6 months and my smaller tanks every 2 months. Live plants help filter too.
    Plecostamous also keeps tanks clean. You can only keep one at a time and they live forever.
    Barbs are also beautiful and entertaining.

7. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    In my 13 gallon lightly planted tank I have Zebra danios (very hardy fish), Rasboras, and Nerite snails. Previously I‘ve had Mollies, Platies, Mosquito fish (also keep them in the goats water to eat mosquito larvae), Mountain Tetras (did not go well), Guppies, Neon tetras, and Cardinal tetras. I want to get Cherry Shrimp soon. Plecos require somewhat specific tanks so I wouldn’t put one of those in a 10 gal until I’ve had more experience. The substrate I use is “Carib Sea Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate” and it works well for the plants. My poor fish are in the garage right now and because it’s so hot out I cannot turn on their light. They do get natural sunlight from the window though. Can’t wait to one day either move them inside or get them an led that doesn’t produce heat.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  8. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    There are some plants such as Anubias that get their nutrients from the water instead of the substrate. I would maybe keep 4 panda cories, 2 nerites, up to 4 shrimp, and 4 guppies. In my experience all guppies will play fight but it’s nothing serious usually. If you keep male and females you probably will never see the fry anyways as they will get sucked up in the filter or eaten unless you put any pregnant fish in a fry net or separate tank. To play it safe though you could keep all female guppies which won’t breed and will be a bit more peaceful. Males are flashier though. Having plants to break up sight lines will help territorial fish to attack less if you ever have that issue. I love Java ferns but very slow growing at least in my tank. They do look amazing once established and provide good shelter for smaller fish. Amazon swords and Anubias grew in a flash if those might be of interest to you

9. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I'm leaning towards all Males. If the females are in a tank with the males at the pet store, they can store the sperm and continue having babies for like 3-10 months from what I read. So lots of baby fish!

I was going to get a mystery snail ( my sister has one and it is super fun to watch) but they may be to big for my tank. So 2 nerites (smaller) might be good. What is your experience with them? My sister has one, and it cleans well, but only above the water line. He rarely goes in the water.

Ashlynn and MellonFriend like this.
  10. MellonFriend

I was actually trying to ask Kass what kind of filter she has, but that's okay.

11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I will get back to you on that. I can't remember the brand. I haven't ordered yet,still checking different prices, but the one I'm looking at is a 15 gal slim hang-on-back.

Goataddict and MellonFriend like this.
  12. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Ok. So I changed my mind and ordered the
    MarineLand Penguin 100 GPH bio-wheel power filter.
    It got good reviews and was only like $12.
    What do you think @MellonFriend?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  13. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    True, guppies can store sperm I forgot. I’ve always had Nerites in my tank. They do well in many conditions as long as they’re healthy when you buy them. With Nerites I’ve never had algae except one time when I tried using aquarium plant fertilizer in my tank. I haven’t noticed them above water or at the water line any more than they’ve been in the middle or bottom of the tank. Sometimes they even go onto the plants and rocks in the tank. Bonus is that they won’t breed unless there is salt in the tank, don’t eat your plants, don’t disturb the fish, and produce a negligible amount of ammonia. 2 sounds good for your tank. In my 13 gal I currently have 2, but have had up to 5 in the past. 1 even can keep the whole tank clean.

14. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Awesome! I can't wait to have snails in my tank! I just ordered my stuff and will set it up next week

Ashlynn likes this.
  15. MellonFriend

I think that seems good. (thumbup) I put your plan into AqAdvisor to check stocking vs filter capacity and that all works out. ;)

Ashlynn likes this.
  16. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Perfect!
    Thank you

MellonFriend likes this.
  17. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    @Kass how is it going.

Pictures please

18. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I did not forget about you guys!
    I am getting back from vacation this afternoon, and hopefully setting up the tank today or tomorrow. I just have a couple more things to pick up tomorrow, plants and aquarium sand.
    I plan on cycling the tank for 2 weeks using Quickstart to speed it up a little.
    When should I add the snails and shrimp? (If I can even find any shrimp locally) should they be added early to help cycle the tank, or just at the same time as the fish?

My sister gave me some cory cat and shrimp food, as well as some filter media, so that helps.
    I'm pretty sure I can get to Petco tomorrow, so pictures should come then. I might post pictures of the supplies.
    Does anyone know if Petco carrys shrimp or snails? I would assume they have cory cats and guppies.

Goataddict likes this.
  19. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Hope the installation goes well.

And remember pictures.

Kass likes this.
  20. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Sometimes Petco has Nerites and a few glass shrimp, but I like to go to a store that specializes in fish and aquariums because they have more variety and usually have healthier animals. You can add the snails and shrimp whenever.

Kass and Goataddict like this.