Fish thread?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Kass, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I set up the tank today. I havnt filled it. Still figuring out outlets and cords.
    The blue sand in the middle is supposed to be like a pond. It's also a favorite of corycats.
    View attachment 186945

2. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Are you planning on getting any plants? It looks so good and love the blue sand!

3. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I'm thinking of Java moss and Java Fern. I saw some Amazon Sword, but I don't want it to out grow the tank.

4. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    (thumbup)

5. Nudanud

Nudanud Member

Mar 1, 2018
    If you want aquarium plants, stay far away from Buenos Aires tetras!

Here’s a little fish story for you..
    My husband ran to the pet store to get fish food, and I had been half heartedly mentioning for a while that we needed more neon tetra for our one little lonely tetra that was in the tank with a female beta because tetra are schooling fish and they need a school etc etc.
    He thinks to himself, I’m gonna be today’s hero and just get a few fish since I’m already here. He buys five Buenos Aires Tetras. Brings them home. I thought, whoa..those are huge..and not Neons. We temper them, add em to the tank. Everybody’s swimming around and fine. Feed them and they go NUTS. The things are just crazy to watch eat. I was kinda thinking “Hmmm”, but it is fun to watch so didn’t think too much about it. Next morning...ALL the leaves gone on my really tall aquarium plant. I’m like, you got me PLANT eating fish?! So I decide to look this fish up...not only did he get me a fish known to CONSUME any plantings you might have..he got the ONE fish NOT recommended to be with beta or neon tetras! Boy, did I get a good laugh at that mistake!
    Unfortunately, the beta died, I’m assuming stress, but the one little neon seems happy as can be with his pod of much larger Buenos Aires. I no longer have a planted aquarium though. They just ate..everything!

MellonFriend and Kass like this.
  6. Goataddict

Goataddict Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Thanks for the pictures @Kass

The tank is looking good.

Kass likes this.
  7. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
  8. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I won't be able to get the plants for a couple days. Still working on hooking up the heater and light.

9. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I hooked up the light and heater. all that's left is the plants and fish. 20200820_174948.jpeg

10. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Looking good.

How is it going?

11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Good! The filter had this really obnoxious grinding noise for the first day, but I fixed it. The lights and heater are working well.
    I'm hoping to get plants in the next couple days. Then fish in the next couple weeks.
    The lights can turn blue too, so that's really cool

Goataddict likes this.
  12. Goataddict

Jun 8, 2020
    Abuja, Nigeria
    Hooray glad that it is going well.

Kass likes this.
  13. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I finally got some plants! Java fern! 20200824_195805.jpeg

MellonFriend and Ashlynn like this.
  14. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I think you are thinking too small.
    I use a free hot tub as a tank. the filters go on the jets air too. lights are a bonus.
    the Hot tub is just the grower tank when my trout are 4 inches long i transplant then in to my two acre pond.
    feeding my fish in the pond was the highlight of my day.
    i lost my fish last year to a severe freeze. they suffocated because of a power outage.

Goataddict and Kass like this.
  15. Ashlynn

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    The tank looks so good

Kass likes this.
  16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Looking good. Cant wait to see the fishes.

Kass likes this.
  17. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I would love to do that. And have a fish pond. Unfortunately we aren't ready for that yet, but it is definitely a dream of mine.

18. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

How's your tank doing?

19. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    It's doing good. It doesn't seem to be cycling though. I've been testing it like every few days and there hasn't been any changes over the past almost month except for the PH . I took out the big rocks because I heard that rocks can mess with the PH and I already have a high PH... 8 or 8.2. I'm hoping to get a driftwood center-piece when I go to get the fish. I've been trying to get to the per store for q couple weeks now but haven't gotten a chance.

I put some rocks behind the tank to give it a little more depth. 20200917_084514.jpeg

Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.