Fish thread?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Kass, Aug 12, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Okay I could be wrong, cuz I don't no if the plants change this, but I think you need fish in there to start the tank cycling. To get the biological filtration and nitrate-nitrite cycle going.

2. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    You can also start it with fish food which will act almost like fish waste.

MellonFriend likes this.

3. MellonFriend

Interesting, I did not know that!

4. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    My theory is that that since I dont have pure ammonia, just fish food, the plants are able to take care of it before it makes a big impact in the tank.

5. MellonFriend

That sounds like a good hypothesis. What do you think you are going to do about it?

6. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I'm going to get the 3 male gupoies and test the water for a couple weeks and see how they do. If the tank does well I'll get some panda cories.

MellonFriend likes this.
  7. MellonFriend

Sounds good. (thumbup)

Kass likes this.
  8. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Tank update!
    I finally got some fish today! At first I meant to only get the Guppies then get the cories later. But after previously visiting both stores and finding them sold out of both panda cories and pygmy cories, I decided if they had them I would get them. So I went and got 3 gorgeous male guppies. A pale blue, a black and emerald and a black red and blue/green. The people right before us got the last of the Panda cories, but there was 4 pygmy cories left, so I snatched those up too. One died during transit from stress, so we are down to 3, which worries me, I would like to have 6. So we will get 3 more ASAP.
    I have 3 java ferns, but I wanted more plants so i ordered 3 anubias and a driftwood centerpiece. They arrived today. I am on the 3rd boil right now, hoping to attach plants and add to tank tonight. I will try to get pictures of the fish. Very fast swimmers so it will be hard! Image.jpeg Image%20(1).jpeg Image%20(2).jpeg Image%20(3).jpeg

Goataddict likes this.
  9. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    The pictures do not do them justice at all!

10. MellonFriend

Oh they are gorgeous. Have you given them names yet?

11. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    No I didn't even think of that yet! Mostly been trying to not kill them! Any ideas?

MellonFriend likes this.
  12. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Also any tips on drift wood? This piece was ordered online. It is real driftwood for aquariums. I'm planning to finish boiling it, I boiled it 3 times. Then soak it in cold water a couple times until it doesn't color the water too fast. Then cool it, attach the anubias and add it tonight. Is that too short a process? Some places say to soak it one to two weeks, but my price is so small, 7in by 4 in, I think as long as it will sink I can put it in? I want some tannins in it still to lower Ph. Mine is 8-8.2. I understand cories like it lower.

13. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    Should I boil it again if the water is this dark? Image%20(4).jpeg Image%20(5).jpeg

14. MellonFriend

I have never done drift wood. Came real close to trying it once, but didn't end up going for it. I do know a little about it from researching, but I don't have any personal experience.

That water sure dose look dark though. Sheesh. Is it still floating?

Kass and Iluvlilly! like this.
  15. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    No. It doesn't float anymore. It's been soaking in this cold water for like half an hour and there's no change to the water. Image%20(7).jpeg

16. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
    I think I'm going to go ahead and attach the plants

17. Kass

Kass Active Member

Apr 26, 2020
    Lisbon Falls ME
  18. MellonFriend

:great: Looks real good.