Fishtail cooper question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Allison, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Allison

Allison Crazy Goat/Cat lady

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My goats are always copper deffecient. They are completely black and turn a rust color and then I give them a copper plus and it goes away. Right now they have really nice black coats with no rust color at all.

However their tails are looking a little bit like fishtails. I figured it was just their winter coat shedding. I normally go by their coat color. I'm thinking I might need them on a regular every 4 months schedule. Instead of just whenever their coats are rusty.

It's been about 5 months since their last copper bolus. Should I dose them? Or is this not a fishtail? I'm thinking maybe bc it's summer their coats are growing slower so that's why I haven't seen any rust color yet.

Pictures are attached.

Thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Definitely fishtail.

If it has been 5 months, I would give them another.

Do they lick their loose salt and minerals at all?
    Some loose minerals brands goats do not like, maybe try a different one with good copper in it. I seen my goats turn up their nose on some minerals and eat a lot of another kind.

3. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    If they are showing signs of deficiency between doses of copper, slowly decrease the length between doses until they don't show any symptoms.

4. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    They get Manna Pro goat minerals. But they dont get it free choice because the moisture overnight makes it solid and they hate it. instead i go out and sit with them once a day and give them it out of a cup and I weight it out to the daily required. maybe I will also start to leave some out free choice as well.

I think I might get shitty quality hay. They get grain and alfalfa pellets mixed together every night. and they get orchard grass hay during the day. But i get my hay from Tractor Supple. Its 16$ for one 2 string bale........ Im going to start buying it from a horse friend who pays 4$ for better quality.

Ill give them their bolus tomorrow before they get fed. And ill start giving it to them every 4 months regular instead of just whenever they look bad.

Why would their tails be fish tailed but their coats not be rusty? Is it because its summer now? They normally get rusty when they need copper.

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I would say yes, they need copper. How much copper do your loose minerals have, and is it in the form of copper oxide? Do you have hard, iron rich water?

6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

Sorry, your message posted as I was writing. I see you do not do free choice minerals. Right Now Onyx is good because it is weather resistant and you can leave it out free choice. I don't think Manna Pro is good enough for my copper needs.

Rusty coats are usually a first response type thing, while fishtails are a slower thing. No wonder you are confused. I would wonder if what you are seeing is something that has been building up for a while, but you have not noticed because you've been focused on the coat color? How are the hooves? are they curled to the sides? That is a long term copper thing also.

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I do something similar with the minerals. I give them just barely more than I know they will eat in one day. That has worked for me.

They can get just one or two symptoms. I find it varies with the goat what symptoms they'll get first.

mariarose likes this.
  8. Allison

Dec 22, 2015
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I don't think we have hard water. We have a well? Idk if that matters?

I hadn't been really paying attention to their tails in the past only their coats. I'm going to look back at pictures I took over the winter and see if they have a fish tail in those.

I'll look into Onyx to get when these minerals are done.

Thanks!

Also I'm make a different post about this but one of my girls is producing milk.... she's never been around a boy goat and never had a kid. I've had her since she was 3 months old. Her sisters aren't producing milk but she is? It's so weird! Not lots but like a few tablespoons. I stopped messing with her teets I didn't want her to continue producing. I read it's just a hormonal thing? So strange!

9. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Well water is more likely to be high in iron or sulphur, both of which inhibit copper absorption.

Sounds like she has a precocious udder. Does from extremely milky lines will sometimes get them.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California