Fist size lump in "bag" (pictures) & thin goat...?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Maureen, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    I have a (hopefully) bred doe, due March 18, that I have been having one heck of a time putting weight on! We dried her off just after breeding her because she was on the thin side after the year of milking. (Shes just a little mini Alpine and gives us well over a gallon a day) so I thought she deserved a good break and I'd use this time to fatten her up before kidding.

She has free choice hay. I give her & her sister 1 flake AM and replace the "unwanted stuff" with a fresh flake in the PM. I have five different types of hay, they prefer and get a second cutting grass/clover/alfalfa mix.

Grain time is a pain because her sister is at a nice weight and loves food, so I put Lorena on the stand to eat and its a toss up as to if she bolts her food, turns her nose up all together or eats about half. She is offered 1 cup beet pulp, 1 cup alfalfa pellets, 1 cup BOSS and 1 quart of Purina goat, twice daily, and has not gained weight since we've dried her off? What am I missing?!

Now for the next puzzle, what is this lump? I might recall Lorana having excess skin/a puffy look there but never any reason for me to take more than a second glance. I am not sure when this became a lump, but it was easy to notice this morning so I'd say its very recent. I'm not sure what to call the area but its a fist sized, hard lump, that she doesn't appreciate me checking out, where her bag/udder connects in the back end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

First, I would have a fecal done to include coccidia. A worm load would stop her from gaining weight.

I'm wondering if she has some sort of infection or something with the udder. Can you have a vet or very knowledgeable goat person physically look at that? I'm assuming that is the lump just below her bum?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree , I would take her to a vet and have whatever is in there tested. If she is preggo, this needs to be addressed before she kids, it may or may not interfere at kidding time. I am very concerned for her.

4. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    The does did have full fecal tests done and were de-wormed again just before I bred them but I do not think that it would hurt to collect some poop and test again. I am positive that worms is not the reason for her in-ability to gain weight. I guess its time to call a vet out for this "lump" though if no one is recognizing it. She does not have a temp, if she had an infection wouldn't she have a temp?

Agreed, I am concerned for the little girl too :(

5. Be sure when they run a fecal they are checking for cocci also. I hope the lump is nothing major, let us know what you find out. :confused:

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Let us know what the vet says, I have never seen anything like that. Could be a tumor too, but I hope it is not. :(

7. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    I have been waiting to avoid a weekend emergency call since Lorena does not have a temp and is not acting in any way unusual, the vet will be out this evening.

BUT in the mean time, this morning the sack/lump/abscess did rip open and is draining - which is gross but makes me feel better. I'll be interested to see if he has run into something like this before, maybe just some antibiotics and of course I'll run a fecal to hopefully figure out the thin issue (other than picky eater).

8. ksalvagno

If you have the vet coming out, you can always have her tested for Johnes too.

9. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
  10. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
  11. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    She doesn't look thin enough for Johne's and if she hasn't been rapidly losing weight I would say that is not the issue. As for the lump I have not seen one like that especially if it appeared suddenly. That's not a normal lymph node site for CL either. I would think maybe a fecal bacteria abscess. Has she had changes in stool recently - been constipated or harder stools than normal or more mushy or watery? Please let us know what the vet says as most of us have not seen one such as this.

12. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    I could have her tested for Johne's but no, she hasn't lost weight rapidly. Shes been around the same weight for the 9 or so months that I've owned her. It has gone up and down a little. Thin was understandable when she was giving so much milk but I thought that she'd pack weight back on once we dried her off. She was getting about six quarts of feed while milking & like I said 2 1/2 or so quarts a day now that she is dried off. More if she eats it, free choice hay/alfafa always

Compared to her sister who is, what I think is the ideal goat weight?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Weight wise its a little hard to see what I can see in person.

Her stools are normal, not loose, not funny colored etc..

And this is what I mean by pus:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The vet just called and re-scheduled for tomorrow afternoon :(

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I hope it isn't serious, sorry it was re-scheduled :( The wait must be killing you. :(

15. ksalvagno

She doesn't look too bad. She does need to put some weight on. But agree that it doesn't look like Johnes.

Have you given her any B Complex shots? I would give her a B Complex shot. I would also give her Probios daily for at least a week. I think I would also get some Calf Manna and maybe subtract a cup of the Purina and add a cup of Calf Manna. Of course start slowly with a quarter or half cup and build up to the one cup.

I'm assuming you are feeding her separately. To help with her coat, you could put some Wheat Germ Oil over her feed. I buy Rex Brand Wheat Germ Oil and the goats just love that stuff over their feed. It takes a good 6 weeks to see a great difference but you start seeing a difference in a couple weeks.

16. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Are you planning to have the abscess exudate tested? If not, use gentle pressure and try to squeeze some of that puss out of the abscess. Get it as "cleaned out" as you can and then flush the area with iodine. If you are going to get it tested, wait for the vet to come out and take a sample before you mess with it.

17. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I hope it turns out well for you and your goat! I'll be watching this post to see what the vet says!

Very pretty goats BTW

18. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    Honestly it looks like your goats are in beautiful dairy condition. Some goat just don't like to hold weight on themselves very well. I really don't think she has Johnes or CL, as like someone said that isn't a very common lymph node. And I have dealt with Johnes in dairy cattle, have never had lesions besides from pressure sores (on a lame cow), injection sites, or sudden impact sites (say a cow fell flat on her side). Some of the workers were pinching bags while wiping the cows and that pressure can create a pus pocket top. Wonder if some rough housing was in check?

19. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Well, the vet is betting on CL. He said that it is in a common location, though face/shoulder would be more typical. He feels that it looks "normal" for CL and is exuding the expected discharge.

He said that blood testing is not accurate so he would not bother with having her tested.

He said that we could squirt iodine/water in the abscess to help clear it up and see what happens, use/milk her as we'd intended to but he also suggested selling her before she infected her sister.

My thoughts, wouldn't I NOT want to drink milk from a goat with CL, especially one with an abscess right near her udder? And who would want to buy her, that seems irresponsible, is her only option to be euthanized?

Then, what about her sister? What could the odds possibly be that she hasn't already contracted the disease? Do I dare use her for milk this year (we drink raw...)?

I had him draw blood to have both does tested for CAE and sent him with poop samples to check for cocci and worms as well.

So now what :confused: