Five Year Plan

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by MachoCabrío, May 1, 2009.

1. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Hello, folks!

I've been thinking a lot about farm growth lately. With the high of the "new arrivals" landing this month, and my slightly rabid obsession with NDG websites across the county...I'm in need of a little perspective.

What is your 5 year plan with the goats on your farm? What are your priorities?

Or, for nearsighted folks, what is your plan for the next 12 months?

Mucho thanks!
    Hecky from WA

2. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I am planning to rent some land from my boss with in the next year. Going to get some goats that I have had my eye on. A small herd to start off with. A buck and about 4 does. Breed these San Clement Island goats and start a small herd of my own up here to try and get them in this area.

Going to try and breed Mini fainters. That is if Dude results come back good he will stay a buck if not there is a small Mini fainter of my boss's I am planning on breeding to my new NDs does.

Love and spoil every one of my goats.

Hopefully get a farm of my own and raises my babies on it.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    My plan is to eventually have a show quality herd of Nigis that are of supreme health, great milking ability, and nice confirmation.

I started off 1 1/2 years ago in a completely different perspective, have critiqued and changed a few times - and I think I am where I want to be now.

(Need some reg nigis???)

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I want to continue building up a quality, healthy herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats.

Hope to get a buck (or two) and maybe a doe shipped in next year and improve some more on some of my animals. Looking at Twin Creeks farm in TX and Old Mountain Farm in MA.

Would love to start some of my does on DHI testing but really need to research that some more. . .

I love the overall conformation of just about all of my does but want to improve on some of their udders a bit more. :)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I love making plans but goats love to change them :roll:

I like Kelebek had one goal at first and have changed that.

I want to be a small breeder of real nice nigerian dwarf goats. I love to show and I hope to go to as many as I can this year and in the years to come.

Short term goals are to: kid out my pregnant does ( 2 left to go) and I want to keep a doe kid from one. Then I pick up my new doe from TN and with my friends help we plan to do breedings of all our does in the fall. We are getting two really nice bucks and I am already planning breedings :oops:

My long term goals are quite varried as I am not totaly sure what my life will be like even in a year. I am only 23 and live at home so life can change real quickly.

But if I stay here at home for the next 5 years I plan to just breed teh goats I have - keeping a few doelings and working to improve what I have. If I happend to get married then that will change quite a bit

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    My plan is to build up a herd of all NPGA reg pygmies that are all awesome kidders and can win show ribbons. And have nice pedigrees.

And to just have fun with goats and the breed and the basic goals. :greengrin:

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    5 year plan?... more like a 15 year plan

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Plans?

We're supposed to have plans? :shocked:

9. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    HA! Yeah, I'm not the best for working with out at least a rough sketch.

One thing is for certain...I definitely need more udder edumacation.

10. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Well, I just happened to pick up a doe several months ago who happened to be pregnant. We went through that entire experience, I learned about care, worming, vaccinating, hoof care, kidding, etc (I have done horses my whole life, so its quite similar stuff). Now I'm going to pick up a buck in half an hour, and I'm talking to a breeder on the coast about reserve a kid from two of her does so I'll have some nice, registered stock.

As a beginner, I just want to breed some goats, sell some nice pet stock and figure out how good the market really is for them here, and see if I can get a good eye for conformation and picking out replacements and then move up from there. I raised and judged lambs for awhile, but I know the conformation is a whole new ball game here.

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    BBBG = Breed Better Boer Goats...most FB boer goats in alaska are about 3 yrs behind the lower 48's..slow growth, poor conformation, and not as hardy as you'd think. So my 5 year plan is to bring up the best buck, and 4-5 great does from all over lower 48.
    Also to get a show up here..ABGA or USBGA.

although some of that may interfere with high school...and eventually college.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I will add to my 5 year plan and say this:

MOVE TO TENN!!!!

What a gorgeous place and such nice people.

13. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    As a Sagittarius I am not big on planning ANYthing... ;) so, I don't know that I have an actual 5 year plan... but I do want to breed my goats and see if I can get some good milkers eventually (who knows, Hope and Bella might turn out to be good milkers themselves!) :)

I am not big on registering animals, but I hope I can have some nice grade animals that give me enough milk for my fam ;) And possibly some meat as well, but that is entirely up to my dh, as I am also not big on wanting to try goat meat, but he is!

:greengrin:

14. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Who can plan?!? My life is "subject to change without notice." Especially goaties! :) As always, improve my herd, educate people who want to learn, and vcreate more goat addicts! Stacey, why no pygmies? You have to shave and show nigis in milk! Too much work for some of us!

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I have a plan now!

I want our property to be fenced with shelter and fully goat habitable by mid next year. I want to increase my herd size to an average of 8 permanent does and 2 bucks. This can increase of course. :greengrin:

I want to add registered stock to the herd (already in progress!) and produce TAME happy healthy babies. Apparently people friendly goats are extremely difficult to find out here.

I also want to produce enough kids to keep up with demand, which I'm failing at right now. (Which is a good thing sort of!)

I never want to buy milk at the store again.

16. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    There is a demand for goats here as well that can't be kept up with! Before I got my doe, I went to look at some kids this lady had. They were ND/Lamancha cross. That morning she had seven kids and had just posted the add on Craigslist. When I got there around 3pm to look at them she only had one left! There are "Goat Wanted" ads on craigslist all the time, and they all want small, "cute" goats. They don't generally want larger dairy breeds.

To update to my plans, I want to breed our new buck, Dante, to Spirit in October for March babies (its plenty warm here by then.) Then, cross him on Gypsy when she is mature enough.

17. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ditto!!

Although that may not work for me. I have a feeling I will mess it all up somehow! :GAAH:

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Aw, don't say that!

There have been several times when I didn't have to buy milk from the store. Now I just have to figure out how to schedule that all year long and I'm good to go.

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Firelight27: I just realized we're both in Oregon! Well, maybe I knew that already but forgot. (Bad memory :roll: ) Oh, well, good to see a fellow Oregonian on here! :)

20. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Loved what Stacey said about goats changing your plans!
    We keep changing ours, after all goats make us liars. We have a plan but they always throw a goatie wrench in the planning machine. :roll:
    The first few yrs into it hubby ask me about future plans..."hey its all I can do right now to just get through this season" when I was & still am on a learning curve.
    I have plans but the goats always seem to mess it up.
    Last year I had a family buying milk then they disappeared into the woodwork, which was fine cause I wanted to make cheese.
    You never know where goats will take you. This yr the local FFA bought five & I expect they will be back next year. The student that turned them onto us had purchased in the past. He gets a discount for refferals.
    Make plans, but be prepared to go with the flow.