Fixin up the barn ...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Julie, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    WEll, I haven't posted to this forum yet. I've been reading some of the posts and just hangin out here a little bit. But now I guess it's time to be an "active member" :)

Anywho - back to "Fixin up the barn" ...
    We're working on running water and electricity to my barn today !!! YAHOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!! I already do have water running to it - through a hose, but that won't work for winter cause it'll just freeze up. So that's why we're diggin a ditch and actually running water to the barn ! And I have a nice sink to put in and everything ! And when we get our electricity in, we're getting big fluorecent lights to run the whole length of the barn so that EVERYTHING can be lit up :) Plus we're putting in tons of outlets in case I need them. And a nice motion light outside that'll come on when I'm walking to the barn. OH, and my dear husband is building a big 8' wide barn door that slides for on the front of my barn. So now the front of the barn will be closed in - which means the whole barn is gonna be totally encloseable. :) Just in time for the cold weather.

I'm so happy and excited !!!!!

I also went to the store and bought myself a small portable electric heater to take to the barn with me. I wanted it for March. Because I'm HOPING to have some kids in March ! Since I have Oreo and Daisy in with a buck right now. So I'll have a way to stay warm while I'm down there. It's a neat little heater - it's designed for in sheds, garages, etc.. Of course it'll only be on when I'm there. I would be to afraid to leave it on with me not there - worrying about the fire potential.

Anyway - enouch Wahooooooo ing for now ... lol. I better quit rambling. I just HAD to tell ya'll since I'm SOOOOOOOOO excited ! And I'll be sure to post pics once it's all done !

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I'm so jealous- I drag out 100 feet of hose and put it back in the garage all winter. I don't mind no electricity but what a luxury water at the sheds would be.

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Yeah ... I've done the "dragging 100ft of hose around in winter". Not FUN ! Which is why I'll be SOOOOOO grateful to have running water to my barn ! And the main reason I wanted electricity is for kidding. So when I'm sitting in there waiting - if it's night - I'll be able to see what the doe's doing, and what I'm doing if she needs help. Plus it's helpful for other reasons also :) Like plugging in my baby monitor for due does - so I can keep an "ear" on them. And plugging in my portable heater to keep me warm if I have to wait in the barn for anything. OH, and for plugging in my little portable TV to watch in the barn when I'm waiting for kids to come ... LOL ! Among many other things.

I'm SOOOOO excited ... CAN YA TELL ! LOL !! :lol:

4. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    Thats so exciting!!! I'm still finishing my stalls for my barn because my daddy is so busy he can't do it.

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Julie you will never regret it! Last yr we got good flourecent lighting and motion detectors...I tell you every time I go out there I am SO THANKFUL!
    Now I don't mind hauling water, but I need to see!!

6. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    My light at the barn is the battery powered camping lantern hung on the bucket hook. Sort of like Little House on the Prairie- except on batteries.
    That reminds me- I better get out my insulated gloves for the hours spent sitting on an upside down bushel basket in the shed. Sigh-

7. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    way to go. when i was in maine i had water in the barn & i got one of the big water troughs with a heater in it. i would fill it at night so in the morning the water was not hot but it was not as cold. i put a ply wood over the top if it to keep the heat in. it saved not having to carry as much hot water to the barn.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hey..nice to "see ya" here! And I'm still in the "construction" too. Will have power under ground as now I use an extension run from the house to the barn...flourescent lights for the boys and girls...don't want running water...I'm ok with carrying buckets...but am looking into getting a heated bucket for the girls "common" area. At least I think I can consider a 18x16 a barn lol :D