The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
297A7A57-5948-4126-AF37-F6EAE5DAAAE9.jpeg

Is there anything I can do to open these hooves. Both her back feet are very tight in the front and are curved in. She is Nubian if that matters.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
View attachment 159117
Is there anything I can do to open these hooves. Both her back feet are very tight in the front and are curved in. She is Nubian if that matters.
Are they curved in at the backs? Or is it that the outter hoof wall has just grown over the frog (soft middle part) and is folded over it? Or is the in between the two has grown up and out so much makin it look like a semi circle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they curved in at the backs? Or is it that the outter hoof wall has just grown over the frog (soft middle part) and is folded over it? Or is the in between the two has grown up and out so much makin it look like a semi circle?
They are like a semi circle. I am adamant about keeping her hooves trimmed. They have always been like this. I had hoped as she grew up they would open.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
This is going to be a long project for you. I do suspect something happened in utero.

She'll need excellent quality nutrition, especially minerals!... and frequent trimming. In fact, I'd recommend a weekly rasping would be the best way to go forward for her.

You are so wonderful to keep this on.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
This is going to be a long project for you. I do suspect something happened in utero.

She'll need excellent quality nutrition, especially minerals!... and frequent trimming. In fact, I'd recommend a weekly rasping would be the best way to go forward for her.

You are so wonderful to keep this on.
I thought this was a different person than the one you been tryin help with hooves in the last day? Or maybe my brain just not puttin the two together? So. @John Heldenbrand is this Oreo? Or another doe?

@mariarose i think he is askin how to start to correct it and trim to help her in the future too.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
i think he is askin how to start to correct it and trim to help her in the future too.
Yes. I was trying to use my limited knowledge to give an answer. Minerals and Weekly Rasping is the best I've got.

Not much, I know...

Reactions: Sfgwife

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
I see the inner area may need trimmed a little at a time, so they come back together.
If I am seeing it correctly.

The chart attached shows you can trim excess hoof growth( pictured bottom left). It may take time for you to get it back into line and together again. Not allowing her to bleed and to stop when you see pink.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts