FKS - I can't find the answers I need!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lacehops, Apr 26, 2013.

1. lacehops

lacehops New Member

Apr 26, 2013
    I have a baby goat who was diagnosed with FKS. He is eating well (the oats that the vet recommended & grass), is hydrated, can hold his head up, and LOOKS healthy except for the fact that he can't stand. We caught it within 3 days and took him off of milk, but it has now been 3 weeks & he's still not up. We have tried the baking soda & pepto bismol methods to no avail. Here is what I can't find:
    -If they are going to recover, what is the time period? Basically, at what length of time do they recover if they're going to?
    -Are there any remedies other than the baking soda & pepto?
    -Are there any other tricks/tips to get him up that have been successful for anyone else?

I've been keeping him in the house at night, checking on him constantly, and have been taking care of him day in and day out. I'm very attached to him (as I am our other 22 "pet" goats), so the last thing I want to do is put him down, especially since he seems so healthy otherwise, but I don't know when to give up or what else to try. If you have ANY advise, experience, or knowledge, it would be MUCH appreciated.
    If you have ANY information, it would be much appreciated.

2. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming

3. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Has he had a Bo-Se shot? I'll have to read that article again goatcrazy. Who diagnosed this kid as fks?

I read the article again. I'm just not sure it's fks...?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia
    My understanding is they recover in 2 to 3 days. I am wondering if he had some sort of injury that is causing this problem and it just appeared to be FKS when you found him. Just a guess.

5. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    That's what I wondered, too. I don't have much experience with FKS, but I thought they either recovered or died within a few days.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How old is this kid?

7. lacehops

lacehops New Member

Apr 26, 2013
    A vet diagnosed it, but that was on day 3 of him being unable to get up. He's around 4 weeks old. Yes, he had a Bo-Se shot. I'm now beginning to think its CAE?

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh dear...that's not good. Did you buy the kid or are you the breeder?

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes they can recover from FKS. I dont know if it's still around but there is excellent article by Coni Ross which includes treatment & goes into to much more detail.
    He is going to need Thiamine & Pen G all done orally as well as electrolytes. Absolutley NO milk for 3 days.

2cc PenG. 1cc max Thiamine & 5cc pepto orally. You can give all at once.
    One hr later give electroytes water, as much as he will take.

Meantime I will try to find the rest of treatment.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  10. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Day 1-3

2cc pen orally
    1cc MAX Thiamine
    5 cc pepto, this is once daily

One hour later
    "Bounce Back" or other electrolyte (1 TSP per 8oz in water) with 10cc 50% Dextrose
    Add probiotc powder & a pinch of baking soda to bottle

Give this on what would be a normally bottle feeding sched for 3 days.

Day 4 reintroduce milk, 4 oz at a time.

This recipe mainly Coni Ross & modified by Leslie Bader Robinson

11. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I had one case. It was a difficult birth. At about 10 days he started dragging his rear legs & putting most of his weight on front.
    His breath did not smell. He did recover, however a few weeks later relapsed. I began treatment. A few hours later he was laying on his side with flies all over him. There were few flies anywhere else. We put him down.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  12. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    My beautiful buckling ended up passing away from complications due to FKS. Treatment followed to a needle point. Nothing else we could do. Died in our arms. Poor guy.

Hope it works well for you! Keep us posted.

13. lacehops

lacehops New Member

Apr 26, 2013
    The kid was born from a newly bought goat. I tried the Coni Ross method to no avail. That was the first thing I tried. I gave him a vitamin shot this morning. He seems to be doing a little worse today. It seems like he's losing control of his neck muscles, although is still eating and drinking like normal. I don't see him making it much longer. If there is no improvement in the next 24 hours, I'll have to probably give up. Thank you for all of your help and comments.