The Goat Spot Forum banner

Flaky, Red, Painful Rash!

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tindi 
#1 ·
I'm new to goats and I have had these 2 15 week old wether's for a few weeks. This one developed this rash a couple weeks after banding and I thought he was limping because of the band but then when i caught him i noticed a gaull/ rash on his inner back legs close to his body. I have been applying blue kote and a skin rash ointment but it seems to be spreading down his back legs. The other goat is fine. They are both still eating and drinking he just seems painful in the rear and he dosen't want to walk much if he dosen't have to. I asked the vet he said he isn't well versed in goat skin issues and I have no friends with goats. I change their pine flake bedding every 2 weeks and it has rained for 3 weeks straight here but their shelter stays dry and is up on a concrete slab. Can someone please give me some advice these are my first goats and I really want them to be happy and healthy. If y'all have seen this before any advice is appreciated. I did research on possible things that could happen to goats prior to buying the boys but I can't find anything on this. Thank y'all

See less See more
#4 ·
Its flakey skin. It's all down his back legs now and I'm not sure about if the band is infected I have never had to go through the banding process with an animal before. I'm not sure what's normal. There is no smell or swelling as of now and the testicals are shriveled and hard. Its been about 3 weeks now since they have been banded. I'm not sure what to look for.

#6 · (Edited)
I'd call the vet back that you spoke with and tell them he is having difficulty walking and is in pain and that you need help. Call goat farms and other vets in the area to get referrals as well. You might have to load him up and drive him to a vet. I have to take ours to a vet over a hour away because they don't do mobile services in my area any longer but they are worth the drive and peace of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.