The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
King has super flaky skin on his shoulders/neck. I'm 99% sure it's from a deficiency in something...maybe zinc? He has Purina goat mineral free choice and has had a cobalt block free choice since May 22nd 2021. He just got copper bolused 9 days ago. No lice. He drinks well water and gets 1.5 cups alfalfa pellets, 3/4ths of a cup beet pulp pellets, and 1/2 cup Purina mini horse and pony grain daily. Pics were taken 8 days ago. Any advice?

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been dealing with the same thing in one of my does recently.
I think it’s zinc deficiency so I have been supplementing with human zinc tablets (one 50mg tablet per day). The healthy range for zinc in a goat's diet is 40-500ppm so I am not super concerned about overdose but I don’t think I will continue to supplement once her skin is better. I also treated her with Python Dust (treats lice, mites, etc.) just in case.
I am planning to start adding some flaxseed oil to her feed to see if more fat helps (she already gets 1/2 cup of BOSS)…
This is just what I have done (the zinc tablets do seem to be helping but it’s still not completely better), hopefully someone has more info to share!

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,272 Posts
He is a gorgeous goat! I would try zinc, but it could be a vitamin deficiency too. I like to use the hums zinc tablets. I'll do a pill a day for a few days (four or five) and then once a week for maybe a month, and then stretch it to every other week, and then every two, for as long as I feel they need it. If things don't improve at all or get worse in a month, it's probably not the zinc.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have recently come to learn that these things can be zinc - but also vitamins A/D, or even E! Zinc supplementation is good, but add wheat germ oil daily, and cod liver oil 0.1cc per 2.2lbs twice daily for three days then twice a week for two weeks.
How much wheat germ oil and where do you get it?

We have BOSS and zinc tablets so I will go ahead and start him on those.

Reactions: Goatastic43

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts