The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Was just out trimming hooves (well, supervising anyway) and as I was looking over one of my boys, I noticed that his skin on his face and at the base of his horns has grown thick and flaky. I figured it was just dry skin, but it's definitely getting thicker. Is this something I should be concerned about, or should I just rub some coconut oil on it and be done.

Also, I noticed that he has a black spot that appears to be suspended in the fluid of his eye. It's stationary, but I haven't seen anything like it before. Is this something that can be normal in goats, or should I call the vet out to take a look at him?
I worry about my boys...

Also, sorry about the photo quality, all I had on me was my cell phone.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
4,499 Posts
The spot in his eye may be just the way his eye is...? I really like Nustock for skin issues on my animals. Don't get it into eyes. And I order it from amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
No my goats get that around the horse base, and the boys really use to. I did not have mites. Do they butt or scratch the horns a lot? Mine do and they just love to rub on things. My girls like to rub their horns on things like the corner of doors and anything they can get between their horns.

The flaky on the face I have a doe that does that all the time, she is Vit D, E and B12 def. I have a B12 for horses I give her all the time along with a shot of Min Max, and it helps. Yours could just be dry skin. Maybe put a little oil like healthy coat in the grain. I do that as well, just a teaspoon or so.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I worry that it could be mange, but I could be passing my hypochondriac tendencies onto my goats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts