Flash Flood

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jun 27, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Well the weather people keep saying "Tstorms today" for the past week and we dont' get any so today when I vaguely remember hearing somethign about rain and T-storms etc I didn't listen.

So I get home and it is HOT and HUMID and I decided I would shampoo the goats one more time to get rid of the lice for good.

I waited a little to long to get started because my brother comes in telling me "Liz says there will be hail and a nasty T storm" so I run outside to feed Presto and Kitten. I decide to quickly gather up the loose hay so it doesn't stick to the ground once wet. We havent' had rain since i complained about all the mud and muck a month ago

I am out there like 10 minutes and suddenly the sky opens up and I am SOAKED.

In minutes the whole pen is FLOODED and the yard quick assumes the same.

I am suck out in the goatshed for a little while till my dad rescued me with a poncho. But of course I was soaked already because once i got rained on I decide to continue to clean out the pen :shrug: and now my hair is in strings around my face. Hehe
  2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    LOL, I've often wondered if our goats laugh at us when it rains..."those humans don't like to get wet any more then we do...why do they think we are strange?"

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    Di you are absolutely correct :ROFL:

well the rest of the yard is all drained now --- we have sand so it quickly drains. I have yet to go out to the goats to see how things fared there. When I left (oops -- rescued) it was close to cresting the threshold so I hope it stayed outside and not into their shed.

next band of storms are close at hand so I better see how things are as this band of storms is longer and it probably will be dark by the time it passes.
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    :ROFL: You must not get rain like that much there :p I do hate it when the goat pens are all mucky.
  5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    well usualy I am not as dumb to run out right before it rains like that -- i was watching the radar and I thought it was going to go below us as had been our luck the past few weeks whenever rain came through NJ. So I wasn't all that worried.

Flash flooding happends but not to often. We get flash floods after a long dry spell (which long could just be 2 weeks because of our sandy soil) and it just runs off into the low areas.
  6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That sucks Stacey...no sooner getting your goaties feet dry and it's a mess again! Maybe you still coulda shampooed them and let the rain rinse them off....btw did you ever notice how soft rainwater makes your hair? :greengrin:
  7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well as long as everyone is safe and sound and dry, that is what counts.

Stacey, PLEASE send some of the rain my way. We are burning up around here.