Flat Rocks lines and size... help! ? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I have a nice Flat Rocks doe that I am torn about. I have her for sale. I decided to sell her because she is so small. I have 10 month old kids that are taller and longer than her and she is already a year old. But now I have been told by a few people that some Flat Rocks lines are slow to mature sometimes, so I am wondering if maybe this is what is going on. How slow is slow though? How long would you wait before saying she is definitely too small for breeding and should just be 'petted' out??? She is a nice doe with nice lines. (Swell Foop is Grandpa on dad's side and Flat Rocks Gem is Grandpa on mom's side. Here is more ... http://www.freewebs.com/firestone-creek ... emini.html) She has nice legs, sharp withers, and a beautiful escutcheon that looks like it could be quite fantastic! I just want her to be bigger!

I am just so torn on what I should do. Do I wait for her to possibly 'grow' more or go ahead and sell her? What is the smallest doe any of you have bred (that have Nigerians)? I have someone interested in her right now, and I'm just going back and forth over whether I should go ahead and let her go. :( What do you think??? She turned 1 yr old on 10/20.

Angie

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not familiar with Flat Rocks lines but I did have a doe "Jitterbug" who was so tiny and finally just after her 1st birthday she started to grow and now is bigger then the doe who I freshioned this year and is 1 month older then her. So yes it can happen that they grow after a year.

your doe looks very fine boned but thats just a face shot so I dont know about her body. But from the petite look of her she does need more time to grow and if her lines are that fantastic to pass up and you have the space to keep her I would give her a couple more months to start growing and if she doesnt grown then sell her.

Now on the other hand do you want to pass up on the sale? do you need to move a goat or two anyway? is she one you will eventually sell in the future? Is keeping her for 2 more months to see if she will grow worth the chance that she wont and you will loose that sale? maybe the prospective buyers will be willing to be contacted if you do decide to sell her even in say a month or two??

All things to think about which I am sure you are already.

3. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Well, for what it's worth, here are some more pics of her. You can compare her size to the doe to the left of her who is actually 5 months younger than her. I think she does have decent conformation, and since I do have some really nice bucks now, I think she could probably produce some very nice kids. I just don't want her to have delivery problems, even though I know that ANY doe can have delivery problems regardless of size... haha! I am just thinking the 'odds' for problems go up with smaller size.

And I do have her for sale, but... sheesh! I find it so hard to part with some of my animals. And it isn't really that she is wonderfully sweet or anything like that! It's just that I see the potential there, I suppose. I'm up to 23 animals right now though, with winter coming on, so I wonder whether I should just let someone else feed her for a while... hahaha!

[​IMG]

Angie

4. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Well if it makes you feel any better- it looks like shes grown a lot since I last saw her at Jill's in Feb

I have a doe who is pure flat rocks breeding- she is a june kid from last year and some of my 09 kids are already bigger than her!!!!
    Im waiting for her to grow up too......*sigh*
    Its definately a trait for Flat Rocks- slow growers- AND it takes a couple freshenings to see what their true udder potential is.

They just seem to be slow even growers, rather than the kids that shoot up and level out, shoot up and level out.. you know?

Im giving my girl until spring to grow up and if she isnt ready to be bred to kid at two years old (in june next year), I will probably move her on. I just need does that are a bit more productive than that, I dont want to have to sit on a goat that long to see if they even have a decent udder, you know?
    But I sit on her for now since she is gorgeous- elegant, correct, with a very nice neck, and some of the widest ribs I've felt!

5. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Well I see that Calista shares the same dad with Gemini, but not the Flat Rocks side, which is creating the size issue. And by the way, Calista is gorgeous! :) I'm glad you think she's grown some since the last time you saw her. She's grown a little since I've had her, but like you said, not by leaps and bounds like some of my others have grown. She seems to grow 'evenly' and slowly, whereas the others grow upward and get gangly, and then they fill out.. hahaha!

I'm of the same mind as you, wondering whether I want to incorporate slow growth into the herd or not. I'm really thinking on it.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well then she is a steady slow grower and not a "spurter"

how many inches is she? what does she weigh? is she wide in the rear (looks to be) if so then I would breed her. She maybe small but that doesn't mean she can't handle a kidding. its that width in the rear you want to see when breeding. And since you said she steadily grows she will more then likey continue to grow steadily through her pregnancy. I have seen it where goats grow better when pregnant

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh thank you! Calista is one of my personal favorites here :love: :love:

Heck- if youve got the space to hang onto her, I would, if she turns out with an udder like her 1/2 sister's..she'd be worth it!
    Breed her in the spring(like April)- to kid late summer (August)- which would put her close to two years old, like Stacey said, if she is wide in the back she should be fine.
    Also that gives her lots more time to grow, another 6 months not bred and then of course, her 5 months of pregnancy to grow too.

8. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Thanks, guys. My instinct is to hang on to her, too. :) So I guess I will! And yes, I hope her udder looks as good as Calista's. Gemini is certainly wide in the rear, so she should be ok in that area. :)

Thanks for giving me courage to hang on to her to see what happens! Now I will just have to decide who to breed her to since I have 7 bucks to use right now. HAHAHA!

9. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    And I love Calista's boning. That's the type of boning I am shooting for! :) She's super nice. Too bad I missed out on her. :)

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I would hang onto her. She is a really deep doe with a lot of good confirmation points. You may want to consider breeding here say december. Yearling does usually hit a big growth spurt about three months into their pregnancy. You might be surprised that she is all caught up by the time she kids.
    beth

11. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    I have a couple does whose kids are way small in their first year. But they came around in their second.
    I got a kid 2 years ago - normal size at birth - who I worried would never grow. At 8 months she still looked like 3. But at about 9 months she started a growth spurt and it took almost 2 years but she is now an average size. So if you like this girl I would definitely give her more time.
    I've also had a few accidental breedings to very small young does who went on to kid with no problem.