Flat rumps % Essential?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Very Essential

9.1%
  2. Not really

36.4%
  3. Halfway

54.5%
  1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I was just wondering how many of you looked over a doe's general appearance, even if her good outways the bad, if she had a steep rump, would you sell her? :)

2. I would try to breed her to a buck that has a super flat rump and see if this trait could be corrected in the offspring.
    Its all about genetic traits...you don't know how strong that trait is with her until you see her kids.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if it is moderatly steep no. But anything more then just a slight i will, because more then likely she is going to have problems kidding. I have also noticed that steep rumps go along with postynedd and narra rumps.
    beth

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    the reason I am asking is because of my new doe, Saca . . . other than her steep rump, she has pretty good conformation. . ., but I am thinking of selling her come spring and retaining a doe kid (the buck she was bred to had a nice rump.) So I cannot really decide . . . but I have all winter, I suppose. See her rump . . .

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

thats a possibility see what she has and then decide.
    beth

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Sparks...depending on the buck she was bred to...wait and see if it is corrected on the kids before you make a decision.

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    N'kay . . . thanks . . .

8. I have one girl Speckles that has a steep rump similar to Saca's, she is my only nonregistered goat AKA a pet that produces milk :wink:

She was my easiest kidder this year and each kid was 4lbs+...She was bred to Mr. Bo Jangles and the kids rumps were definately an improvement.

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Actually my two best does have/had especially steep rumps. Besides milking over a gallon per day, their temperment was great and they were easy for kidding.
    I guess it all depends on the doe herself :wink:

Of course if you're trying to produce correct does for mainly showing, I would sell her, if her kids carry on that trait just as strong.

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Since we don't have alot of shows in our area I'm planning on breeding mainly for milk, but I would like to have very nice conformed does too though,.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

its not the case all the time...the birth canal goes up through the hip bones and then follows the spine, when does have a steep rump the kid has to fold to get out. But does who are wide can usually pass them well. Most does that i have seen with steep rumps are also very narrow. I too have one doe with a semi steep rump, but she always kids extremly easily, she is extremly wide from thurl to thurl.
    beth

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well if you especially like her you can sell her kids as pets and just keep her for the milk. Have you seen her in milk? Maybe she won't even be a good milker?

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i think she just got her recently. Another reason its good to keep her until she freshens. see what kind of production she has....just because the pedigree is full of great milkers or show winners doesnt always going to mean that that particular animal will be. and vice versa. Some of my best does have come out of so so breedings.
    even if you are breeding for milk or meat or pet rather then show i still think its a good idea to go for better quality, you will get more years of production and nicer kids. i have a good friend that owns a dairy. She buys from show herds and markets her kids to show homes. her profits are better and she has found that she has less problems in the long run, rather then just having does good enough to milk.
    beth

14. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Oh . . . I forgot to mention I won't be selling her until after freshening. I really do like this doe, so there is a fifty fifty percent chance of me keeping her. this will be her second freshening--- and she just recently dried up, and so her teats are quite long, and what's left of her udder seems very nice. The teats hang straight down as well--- I hope they will do likewise when she freshens. Daisy is also dry, but her teats sort of tip off in all directions. I hope that straightens out come freshening. I do want to keep Saca because her former owner said her 1st freshening was really nice.

15. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I must agree with Beth on that one.
    Yup, you should wait for babies and milk. We once bought a doe and we were told that she was a great milker - but she was really our worst. Best to see for yourself.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It depends on the slope for me. . . . if it is extreme, I would probably sell her after freshening (unless she has in incredible udder). See what her kids look like, if they are an improvement, then I'd keep her around and try to keep a doe kid as well to see how she matures.

17. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    You know, that's about all that's extremely wrong with her conformation. the only other faults I found was not level enough, and she could benefit from straighter legs. Her shoulders are okay, I think, and she has very sharp withers. But I just got back from the goats and it kind of seemed to me that even though her teats are really long (shes dried up) her udder isn't as snuggly attached as Daisy's--- but it could be that hair. I was thinking about putting her on the milk stool and checking it out but she would dislike me even more if I did, so I decided bad idea.
    So I'll see I guess. 3 more months to go!
    :shrug: But I (might) post a pooch check on her tomorrow--- she's a bout 2 months along now. Daisy is feeling much better--- her eye and nose have stopped running, but she still has a cough. I love this doe!!! :drool:

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    When does are drying up, their udders can look terrible - you cannot really evaluate an udder until after she freshens or while she's being milked regularly. So, don't worry about it looking snuggly attached now as it won't look so great.

Just remember that faults in the conformation typically get worse with age. Very few things are actually improved as a doe matures. So, she may not be as productive or last as long as a doe w/ straight legs - I'm sure you knew that though. ;)

19. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Oh yes . . . crooked legs aren't great. My Lamancha does not have nice legs. Saca's aren't that bad, just a tinsy bit crooked, but still could be improved. She is 110% better looking then she did in the pix--- she was chewing in that pix by the way, but she still has a barely noticable overbite. All I can say is if she freshens with an udder that 'wows' me then I will keep her, but if she doesn't I will sell her and perhaps retain a doeling. But she was bred to a black buck and she herself is black and white . . . so what do you guys think of the chances of having a black and white baby?

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't know a thing about genetics in regards to coloring. . . . I just wait till the babies are born!! ;) Some of the strangest colors have come from some of my goats so I'm not even gonna try and guess! There are some websites on coloring genetics. . . . maybe someone else has the links, can't think of them right now.