The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've just milked my goat.

About an hour after milking, I tasted, had a cup of coffee with it. lovely.

5 hours after milking the flavor has changed ... I can only describe it as akin to coconut milk.

Not really unpleasant, but not what you expect when you hear the word 'milk'. Say I wouldn't drink it as straight milk.

I tried it in coffee again and I personally don't have a problem with it in coffee ... in fact by the time I was halfway through I prefer it. (In fact I had too many coffees ...

Its not a problem to my fussy father either because for some obscure reason the flavor completely disappears in earl grey tea (Thank God!)

However, I'm wondering whether this is normal?

If so, will the flavor come out and be a problem if someone was to try and say make butter? Butter being an item that tends to sit around at room temp?

Either way, is there any way that this flavor change can be stopped ... say by pasteurizing or something when still fresh?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I milked into a bowl inside another bowl full of ice cubes.

The bowl was an odd one out as I was dubious about the milking bucket (being for cows) fitting under her ... but yes it was very clean, I made sure of that. Strainer is a dedicated clean milk strainer ... bottle was clean.

When I finished milking the milk was below room temp (because of the ice) ... I strained it into a bottle and put it straight in the fridge close to the element. It was cooled to fridge temp within an hour of then ... remembering that it was already cold.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch its copper again!

Maybe they're not on enough ...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still wouldn't it be a bit odd that it tastes fine when brand new if its the copper?

Also I see colostrum as a cause ... well yeah she did kid only a few days ago, but again it tastes fine new.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to milk her again now ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts