The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am going to attempt making Chevre soon and the hint in my recipe book said that Chevre can be flavored by a lot of different ways from herbs to fruits. Made me want to find out how everyone likes their Chevre . . .

So how exactly do you "spice up" your chevre cheese :D

·
Super Moderator
58,911 Posts
Depends on the use. For crackers I like to add an herb mix. But definitely do that when you are ready to use it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you can freeze it? how well does it freeze?

I got my culture in the mail today! Now I just need to save up a gal of milk :) Shouldn't be too hard lol! I'm excited to try it . . .

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I find that when you do add herbs to Chèvre, it tastes much more intense if you let it sit in the fridge for a day or so after you add them. Right after you add them, they haven't had time to "marinate", so it's not the same at all as if it sits for a while. At least half a day makes a big difference.:)

I almost always add garlic, (salt of course) cracked pepper and basil. Grated onion adds a lot as well, but I don't always use it. Sometimes I throw in a bit of red pepper flakes or cajun seasoning too.
It's very good!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I really don't make Chevre much, but here are my favorite spice mixes for Queso Fresco.

Garlic and Basil
Garlic, Basil, and Lemon Pepper (a new variety I just tried, EXCELLENT on crackers!)
Garlic, Basil, and Oregano (great for marinara sauce - I call this one Italian)

In case you hadn't noticed, garlic is a key ingredient - start stocking up! LOL Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! I guess I will stock up lol! I can't wait to get started! It will be a lot easier when I have more than one goat milking next year. we drink and use so much milk from our girl that I have to save up! lol!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I usually make it with just a gallon at a time. We don't need that much cheese, and it usually lasts several weeks around here. We freeze what we don't use- don't know how long it lasts in the freezer, but I think at least a month.

·
1,524 Posts
I ran some strawberries thru the blender and added that to the cheese. Yummy.

Dried fruit (cranberries and blueberries were tasty)

Cardommon as a favoring when I used the cheese as a topping on a coffee cake

garlic and chive

Jalapeno

Rosemary

onion

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Dried cranberries are really good!
We have also tried chive and chive with garlic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts