Flaxseed oil? Tell me about it!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, May 8, 2020.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    So just today, i started giving my goats their herbal dewormers in their grain, and i used crisco canola oil to help the powder stick to the grain so they cant eat around it or blow it out when they breath. I used 3 cc in each of their servings. But i want to use an oil that is a bit healthier than that. I was thinking something like flaxseed oil? Will they gain much weight by getting 3-6 ccs per day? Any other oils that are a bit healthier, and not super expensive? I wont be giving their herbals daily for much longer, but i want to mix kelp in their food for some extra iodine, because mine always lick the iodine teat dip i have, so that makes me think they need more iodine.:shrug: Maybe this is a stupid question LOL! But any advice is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Nigerian dwarf goat

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I will say, i do have one that i want to gain weight, so i could give her a bit extra oil if it will help...

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Olive oil is a good healthy fat..you can use spray on for the ones that don't need extra fat. I buy the spray canister that I fill up so I know its pure olive oil.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Flax is not bad but goes rancid quickly and pretty pricy compared to olive oil.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  5. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I use applesauce to mix the herbal wormer into. (Nigeriandwarfowner707's idea) I've heard that some people just use water to make it stick to the grain. I hope you see good result from it. ;)

6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I have actually been LOVING my herbals! Cricket had a 2 FAMACHA, and after starting to give herbs, she was bumped up a to a 1!!! YeeHaw!! (dance)

My only complaint is making their treats to put them in. I make such a mess, so this is me trying to get around it! lol!(rofl)

I had no idea flax went bad so easily! Thanks for the tip! I will pick up some olive oil next time i go to town, but for now, i will just keep up with the veggie oil.

7. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Active Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I used sunflower seed oil for a while. I read a study that concluded feeding sunflower seed oil had about the same health benefits for goats as feeding BOSS (and the oil was cheaper, so I gave it to them, instead). I found a more reasonably priced source for BOSS, so now they get that and I like it better because it doesn't make a mess of their bowls. But I would think sunflower oil would work for your purposes.

8. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Where did you get sunflower oil? I dont think i have seen it around.

9. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    The cooking oil section at Wal-Mart.

10. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

My goats wouldn't eat it in treat form! So I totally get it! :D

Great to hear you are having such good results!:happygoat:

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    but i am giving BOSS to 2 of my does, just a 1/4 cup 2x daily, and i have heard that too much BOSS can coat their stomach, and prevent them from absorbing nutrients, so if i gave sunflower oil in addition, would that be too much?

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I'm not sure about that. Feeding too much BOSS will throw off the calcium/phosphorous ratio of the feed, so you have to be careful about that, regardless of whether you're giving it in oil or seed form. I gave my goats about 1 1/2 - 2 tsp. a day sprinkled on top of their feed. I don't give the oil any more since I now give the sunflower seeds. You might try experimenting with cutting the seed amount down if you decide to go with sunflower oil. Honestly, though, I think something like olive oil would work just as well. I suggested the sunflower oil because I know it works. :) and you don't need much of any kind of oil to make sure that the herbal powder sticks to the feed.