The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I just brought my two baby Pygmy goats home. There is a flea like creature covering the doeling. Mites? They bite like fleas but are bigger than the average dog flea. Not sure what to do! These are my first goats and my first night with them! Goodness! Please help! They are 9weeks and one is only a week old!
Pl

Plea

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Go to like even WalMart and get seven dust or Poultry dust. Dust them from the top of their neck down their back and even their tail.dose them well right down their back and it will go down the sides.
Make sure you do the bedding as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they fleas? I'm worried about an infestation! I probably had 100 or more on my clothes when I went to come inside. (After I had picked her up) not going to lie, I stripped down naked on my back porch! LOL

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
COuld be lice...kitten dust should help..if they are that bad it might take somehting stronger like 7 dust..I would only pinch a bit and rub on the week old...the 9 week old can have a bit more...comb comb comb...get as many off as you can manage...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!! I've had people mention ivomec but are they too young (im thinking so) for that and would that work against what I'm looking at? We use it in cattle but not sure on ages for goats.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I dont use ivomec on kids under 6 months old...I have read where they put a dab on a cotton ball and dab under arm pit area...but try the kitten powder first...comb then with a flea comb..get the bugs off..do this as often as you can...keep combing as eggs hatch..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thank you! First thing in the morning before work ill be working on them. I hate it because my daughter will be wanting to love on them tomorrow :(

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
The good thing is lice is very picky...breed specific...your daughter is safe :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts