The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of our goats are starting to chew at their backs, and occassionally rub against the fence. I have read that it could be fleas, lice or mites, but is there a way to tell which since we've been told there are different treatments for each, or should we treat all three to be on the safe side. We really need to nip whatever it is in the bud immediately before the critters find their way inside with our family! :(

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
Goats don't get fleas. You can start with putting a dust on them like Sevin Dust. That will take care of lice. Ivomec injected will take care of both lice and mites.

·
1,524 Posts
I agree with Karen. Sevin dust works well on buggies. Some mites can get down under the skin where some of the insectides won't reach, so Sevin dust and Ivermectin injected would get all types of mites and lice.

Goat "bugs" will not bother humans. Critters like those are mostly species specific. Humans do not taste good to them.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I would guess lice if they itch along their backs. Mites usually show up on ears, face, and pasterns first. I'd dust them a few times and then re-evaluate in a week.

·
2,203 Posts
Goats do get fleas...first hand experience.

However in my experience itching at the shoulder is typically lice.

Mites usually crusty patches or multiple bite scabs.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have been told and read a lot about dusting them with DE and we do have it on hand. Anyone with any experience with this and its results? I did sprinkle them and rub it in as best as I could, but it was hard to get them to stand still long enough to do a good job and we are in the process of getting our stanchion built! :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I used diatomaceous earth on their bedding and benches, but I used dusting powder on the actual goats, as nobody was in milk. The goats showed improvement almost immediately, and were showing no signs of being bothered by the next day...two weeks later, still no signs of lice (what you're describing sounds like lice, and if they are light-coated, you can part their hair and look carefully for little dots that move differently from random bits of debris). You can sprinkle some powder on your hand and then rub it in, less being lost that way if they fidget; but you have to rub it in down to the skin, and do the entire goat. Although they did fidget, mine didn't mind getting the powder skritched in. No stanchion requried.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts