fleece is growing back fast.

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by jBlaze, Oct 19, 2007.

1. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    I have 5 of my 9 pygoras sheared. Their fleece is comming back so fast and nice! It is exciting for me to see it. It is so soft and shiny and curly. I just love to pet them when I can. Two of them are pretty wild, they were free goats, lol, and the last to be sheared, so their hair is still pretty short, but nice and shiny. I will try to get pictures posted so you can all see them. Since it was my first time shearing for fleece, they look pretty funny, it is nothing like clipping a dairy goat for fair! The last 4 I have are one wether that is overdue to shear, and another wild doe and then... a wild buck with long horns (not sure how I am going to get that done, but he is not ready yet anyways) and another buck, but at least he is friendly. His neck is huge though and I don't think it will fit in my stanchion!
    Anyways, i just wanted to share even though there does not seem to be any other fiber freaks yet! :) Wait till I get picts up, then you will all want some! Hehehe.

2. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    i have one six month old pygora wether, 'ezra'. he is very sweet and tame.
    how on earth do you clean the fiber????? he is so soft and snuggable, but all the dust we have had has him looking more grey than white, and there are assorted berries on his legs every morning, and assorted bits of brush and bedding seem to find his fleece inviting. just don't know how to deal with it.
    AND, should i be clipping him now? his fleece is fairly long, but i don't want him to freeze in the winter, either.

3. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    just sent you a reply, don't know where it went. did you get one???

4. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    That happened when I posted too, then I waited a while and it showed up. strange indeed.
    About the fiber and shearing, keep in mind that I am new! People use a blower to get the dust and stuff out. The typical is an animal blower, but I have heard of leaf blowers or hair dryers on cool setting. I used our canister vacuum with the hose reversed so that if blows, and it was fairly quiet. I was shown to blow at an angle, not directily into the fleece, and careful not to over blow it. For me it got the dust out and made it easier to see the leaves and sticks so that I could pick them out. Then I sheared them. Careful not th get "second cuts" which is those little bits that you get on the second pass when you stray into the path of the first pass of the shearer. Hard to explain, but try to visualize. Remeber to put the cruddy stuff in a seperate bag.
    As far as temperature, I just kept them in a stall at night for about two weeks. If it was colder then I turnned on the heat light. Putting sweaters on them is common too. Here it has not been very cold. Also, depends how short you shear.
    It was a challenge to use the clippers for me, I used scisors on some, and I had much more control. It took me quite a while either way. Talking to the pro I got some of them from it only takes her about 30 or 40 minutes, I chose not to time myself, but cleaning them up and shearing took more than an hour for sure. :)
    Oh, and most of mine have a B sort of fleece. ( I think.)
    Do you know what to do with the fleece after it is cut?

5. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    ezzie has 'b' fleece, as well. very nice, really, except for the debris. ok, can't imagine blowing will get much out, but i will try.
    i would probably do better with scissors, too.
    no, i don't know what to do with the fleece.
    i was told not to brush for that would ruin the curl of the fiber.
    i will let you know what transpires........ :roll:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I know very little about Pygoras. Is your A Tpye? The reason I ask is you said you sheared. Are you by any chance the lady that goes to the Estes Park show in CO, over Fathers day? I know there is always 1 Pygora person that just brings her goats to sell, and they are form CA.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, I know very little about Pygoras. Is yours A Tpye? The reason I ask is you said you sheared. Are you by any chance the lady that goes to the Estes Park show in CO, over Fathers day? I know there is always 1 Pygora person that just brings her goats to sell, and they are form CA.

8. jBlaze

jBlaze Guest

Oct 9, 2007
    Lori,
    I have not shown or taken my pygoras anywhere, and mine are mostly B type fleece. Most people with pygoras shear their goats at least once a year just to keep them looking nice and more comfortable even if they don't do anything with it.
    Barbra,
    I would not recommend brushing either, but I did pick apart the smaller matts on a couple. There should be somewhere in your area that can process the fleece, but people do ship fleeces. Just for something to look through try superior fibers web site ( http://www.superior-fibers.com/ ) that will give you some ideas. If you go to where they sell stuff, you can see that processed pygora fiber sells for $12 an ounce, whereas alpaca fiber sells for $4 and ounce, and here everyone thinks alpaca is great stuff. I am only a goat raiser, not a fiber user, so I don't know about that end of it, but people must really like it for it to sell for that much. Yes, do tell us what transpires! we can compare notes, you should get more pygoras lol!! :lol: :wink: