Flies again

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by NigerianDwarfOwner707, May 14, 2020.

1. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Flies, gnats, whatever, are really itching the goats. Their bellies are getting a little raw from all the itching. I have a goldenseal salve for the raw spots and homemade fly spray, but I’m wondering if there’s anything you guys know of that I could use to help their raw spots from fly bites?

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

On my chickens and fellow deer i use a mix of vaseline and chopped mint leaves. I also add in 1 chopped clove. Flies and gnats and fleas and lice stay farvaway. Tea tree oil dries the skin too much.

MellonFriend and CaramelKittey like this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

That is a great idea, do you use it on yourself too?

4. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Do you have Scarlex? We use it for any open wounds/fly bites as long as it isn't near they face/eyes. I hope the flies get better. They certainly are annoying!

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I use it when we go camping. At night we like to go fishing at night on holiday.
    I find it very effective and environmentally friendly for my animals. Its not as invasive as sprays and chemicals.

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I use it when we go camping. At night we like to go fishing at night on holiday.
    I find it very effective and environmentally friendly for my animals. Its not as invasive as sprays and chemicals.

7. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    No but I do have swat.

He just bites it so much I want something that’s edible.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I think I may try to make my own homemade fly repellent cream with various ingredients... it’d be a good project for me lol!

9. CaramelKittey

Sounds like a great idea!
    We've been trying to make a salve out of Comfrey for ourselves. I wonder if that would work on goats too..

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have made wound and chapped skin salves, so this won’t be too much of a stretch!!

11. CaramelKittey

Scarlex is definitely not edible! :haha:
    I just like it especially for chickens because it makes the wound a blue, black, or purple color so other chickens won't peck at the wounds. Thankfully, goats don't peck at red things but it seems like flies do!

12. CaramelKittey

:great: You just have to share your recipe with all of us so we can benefit from your hard work. :haha:

13. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Maybe mites?

If you want, you can make a natural fly spray.
    Happy bleats told me this was a good recipe. I got it from Fallon Taylors' YouTube channel. She uses it for her horses

1 c ACV
    1 c Mineral oil
    1/2 tsp bitter orange
    1/2 tsp citronella
    1/4 tsp clove ess oil
    1/4 tsp eucalyptus
    2 tbs dish soap

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It’s not mites. There’s no scabs or flakes it’s just pink. Plus I have treated for mites with NuStock and ivermectin and it did nothing.

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    It’s not mites. There’s no scabs or flakes it’s just pink. Plus I have treated for mites with NuStock and ivermectin and it did nothing.

16. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I don’t like ACV in fly sprays, I have personally seen it attract flies more than repel them. I have a good homemade fly spray recipe but it’s not enough, I need something I can smear on them that lasts.

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

That is a good recepe. I should try it some time.

18. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I use swat and horse fly spray on mine. My vet said we could use pretty much any product labeled for horses on the goats safely.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas