The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The flies in my barn drive me crazy while i'm milking. They try to get into the milk and I always come in with fly bites. What should I do? Any ideas? I'm not good at making things so if you have a flytrap for me to make I'll need good directions. Anything that you have heard of or has worked for you is welcome.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we don't have electricity in our barn. :( O.K. Where can I get them?

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
There is a trick where you can take a ziploc baggie and fill it with water and hang it in the doorway, and when the fly tries to enter, it won't because it tricks the fly's eyes. It supposedly works

·
Super Moderator
58,938 Posts
There is a trick where you can take a ziploc baggie and fill it with water and hang it in the doorway, and when the fly tries to enter, it won't because it tricks the fly's eyes. It supposedly works
I thought you had to put pennies in there too.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Screens on windows, and is it possible to close all doors? I swat flies after milking each day. We also hang fly strips, and there are the stinky plastic traps at TSC.
OUr barn is a very open barn if you know what I mean. There are 4 openings 1 of them doesn't have a door on it another one always is open so animals can go in and out and the other two on sunny days remain open for light.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stinky plastic fly bait traps at TSC work well in our barn. However, they smell like a dead animal...
eww. I really don't want our barn to smell like something dead. Any other options.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We don't have doors to put them. Animals could bump into them and we open and close the two others quite frequentely.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have never personally tried them but my friend used Fly Predators and there were barely any flies in her barn. They are kind of expensive though

·
Registered
771 Posts
Try Fly Predators.... I absolutely LOVE them. I have 4 horses, a cow, 2 goats, and chickens and hardly any flies at all. and my neighbor has a like 10 cows on barely 5 acres and never cleans up after them... There flies are awful, mine... none.

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have never personally tried them but my friend used Fly Predators and there were barely any flies in her barn. They are kind of expensive though
What are fl predators plant or animal? :)

·
Registered
30,676 Posts

·
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
O.K. can they survive on their own?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yes. Other than opening the box when they arrive and distributing them when they have become active, there is no maintenance with fly predators. Getting them this time of year will help, but for maximum effectiveness they should be started a little before flies start hatching in the spring. If you choose to 'subscribe' (for lack of a better word), the company that sells them will send them to you at the correct time in the spring, then every month thereafter until it freezes.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Oh I do so feel sorry for you. The farm we used to work on was open as well and there could be hundreds of flys in the barn during the summer. So when we left there to make our own, it was a top priority to build a barn that had almost all the comforts of a house. Its got electricity, plumbing (hot and cold running water) window air conditioners for summer and an hold house furnace for winter. Insulated, concrete floors and a easy in and out milk run. Can even pick up the wi fi from the house :) I suggest to anyone to do what ever they can to make a comfortable barn for themselves. The extra money is well worth it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts