The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use for fly control?
We are limited in what we can use for fly control as we sell to a mainly organic clientel.
We have used the little fly predators but the Chickens love them. I used to use the big orange fly sticks but at $10 each (and I was using one daily), it got kind of spendy. Now IS am using the strips with fly attractant added but it is not enough.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Flair's Fayre

typed on my little tiny keyboard

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Not sure this will help but I'll throw it out there! I have 5 horses and 2 goats and to keep the flies down we give our horses an all natural supplement called Bug Check. It comes in a huge tub, and makes it so that the flies won't lay eggs in the manure. It works really well, I have friends that use it too and love it too, and the tub lasts quite a while. I can't see anything in it that goats can't have, and you would only need a sprinkle for them. I just don't give it to mine because the horse manure is a bigger issue than goat manure! I would look it up though.

Sorry the predators don't work for you! We use those too and love them! Good luck :)

·
Amber
1,320 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Not sure this will help but I'll throw it out there! I have 5 horses and 2 goats and to keep the flies down we give our horses an all natural supplement called Bug Check. It comes in a huge tub, and makes it so that the flies won't lay eggs in the manure. It works really well, I have friends that use it too and love it too, and the tub lasts quite a while. I can't see anything in it that goats can't have, and you would only need a sprinkle for them. I just don't give it to mine because the horse manure is a bigger issue than goat manure! I would look it up though.

Sorry the predators don't work for you! We use those too and love them! Good luck :)
Yes this works good
Radon blocks
10 bucks at feeder store

·
Amber
1,320 Posts
The bucket type ones that I posted work great for us! The flies go in and can not find their way hack out. But the bait attractant that comes with it is some stinky stuff. Lol but it sure beats having to swat flies the whole time I am in the barn

·
Registered
213 Posts
I saw on line that you can use basil either grow it were you want fly control or can hang it dry in a pouch and rub it ounce in a while to keep the smell active

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
I may get one of those buckets, though. I wondered if those worked.
If you can stand the smell of dumping and rebaiting them, they work fantastic. Just don't make the mistake I did of hanging them in or close to the pens - they will draw every fly within 5 miles! :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.