Flock ID?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've been reading the USDA website this morning, but I'm confused. What else is new. lol

How do I get a State Flock ID? Do I need that? Also, if I plan to tattoo ears, do I still need to order the ear tags? I'm having some serious blond moments lately. lol

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    DONT DO IT!!!!

if it has anything to do with USDA dont go near it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it has anything to do with the NAIS (National Animal Identification System) run like mad the other direction!!!!!

You are not required to let the government know a thing about your chickens or goats -- if they say you are then they are lying to you.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't let the government into your farm unless you have to. You don't have to sign up for a premis ID and you don't have to sign up for NAIS.

If they sent you a letter tell them to back off and delete your name from the system!!!!!

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    No, I didn't leave a message when I called and I didn't email anyone or vice versa. I was reading into the NMGA's Registration Application and it's asking for Right Ear Tattoo and Left Ear Tattoo. I assumed that those would be the numbers on these ear tags that came with the girls. If not, what do I put there? Do I give my herd it's own ID? I'm so freaking lost. :?

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok if the NMGA is anything like the other registries you first need to register a herd name and tattoo (or they will give you one)

then the goats get the herd tattoo in the right ear and the year and birth number in the left (I think I got that correct).

THe year letter is determined by what the registry is on. For AGS it happends to be A for 2010. Next year it will be B etc

So my kids will have EOTL in the right ear and A1, A2, A3, A4 etc in their left ear depending on birth order for the entire herd.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Okay, so I'm just waiting to hear back from the registry then and they'll assign me something to tattoo to the doelings? My husband happens to have a friend at work that said he'd tattoo my whole herd for free. Win win. :p

Just so I got this correct. Your right ear reads EOTL. Left ear reads A1, A2, A3, etc.

I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly :sigh:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you should ask for a herd tattoo when you register your herd name. The kids get YOUR herd tattoo and then the letter for tha tyear and the number associated with their birth.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    The prefix is the Right Tattoo on all goats registered and also acts as your member number.
    *Prefix- 1st Choice
    *Prefix-2nd Choice

They asked for it, so I guess I'll have one shortly. Thanks for the help Stacey. I'm so scatterbrained since having the boys. lol!