The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are purchasing our first pygmy goats and are in the process of building their shelter. I've been reading on what flooring is best but and would like opinions from those of you with experience... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
We use plywood as it is easier to clean you need it off the ground a litle so that it wont rot, but you should put some sort of banking on the outside to prevent drafts. Another option is plywood covered with linoleum tile that will make the floor last longer and is even easier to clean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... We were going to do wood... after reading many people say the urine smell is bad with wood and it doesn't have anywhere to go with linoleum I was second guessing it? Does the wood become saturated with the urine, swell, and rot?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You will have to clean it and use stall dry- it is a horse product for that very thing. It works great and will dry it out in very little time. Use your own judgement in how often to clean. We do some every week and some every month depending on how dirty and wet it gets.

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
I have #9 limestone over a thick rock base. Then the urine drains well.

I much prefer the limesone or a dirt floor.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have #9 limestone over a thick rock base. Then the urine drains well.

I much prefer the limesone or a dirt floor.
i have tried that but found it very hard to clean unless you use straw or hay bedding and we dont. We use pine shavings as that is much more affordable and easier to clean.

·
558 Posts
I like having a dirt floor for my goats. We haven't had any urine smell at all. I for one would HATE having to deal with cleaning up the urine off a wood or linoleum floor. I used to have trays under my rabbit cages and it was soooo smelly and gross cleaning them off. I can't imagine cleaning the amount of pee a goat would leave.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have a love hate with our concrete floor. We don't use shavings because we have fiber goats as well as dairy. We do have wood pallets for them to sleep on. Amazingly our crew mostly pees in one area. They leave berries everywhere but the pee is confined mostly to the middle of their area. So we put the pallets at either end. I plan to build some higher shelving for the winter to keep them a littler further off the floor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My shed with the goats I put down a linoleum to save on the wood and it is easy cleaning. I use shavings and straw and when I clean it out I mop it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks... It's nice to know there is a solution to any flooring. I think we are leaning toward dirt. So, the best way to cover the dirt is? I'm looking for healthiest and easiest to maintain. Thanks so much.

·
14,615 Posts
Our 3 sided shelter is dirt. After mucking it gets a good layer of shavings & plenty straw.
During the winter I throw wasted alfalfa in there & they be toasty warm.
The barn stalls are wood floors. Those get straw. Yes the urine soaks down (where's the barf icon) but a good hot water vinegar rinse after the 3 or 4 days they are in there does fine.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My sheds have dirt floor, also. I clean them out as needed, taking them down to the dirt, leave them for a day or so if wet and the sun dries them out. Sprinkle barn lime and re-bed with straw or cheat-grass hay. I do not clean them from late fall until the thaw in spring because the manure pack puts off heat and helps keep the girls warm. I just put down barn lime and re-bed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a dirt floor for my boys too. I use fine shavings. I have a 10 x 14 shelter and 3 bags cover that area well. I have used fluffy pine shavings but they don't like them. I have found them laying on the ground when i have used them. I have used the pdz for horses for smell. And i spray permectrin on the ground to kill the creepy crawlys that are in the dirt before i put the shavings down. That lasts about a week and a half before i have to clean it out.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a dirt floor for my boys too. I use fine shavings. I have a 10 x 14 shelter and 3 bags cover that area well. I have used fluffy pine shavings but they don't like them. I have found them laying on the ground when i have used them. I have used the pdz for horses for smell. And i spray permectrin on the ground to kill the creepy crawlys that are in the dirt before i put the shavings down. That lasts about a week and a half before i have to clean it out.
Doesn't this get expensive? I need help with what to put down in my barn to!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well its not to bad I pay about $4.99 per bag. But i only scoop up where they pee. About once a month i clean the entire barn. So not to bad.

·
Registered
380 Posts
And they are my babies so i don't think its to bad. My husband says my goats are yuppy goats because i spoil them so much. Lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are great... So, will have our "barn" Put in tomorrow it will be 12x14, dirt floor... Still not sure what we will use over dirt husband says just straw. I say no, I want something else between for them. :) sand? Small gravel? Shavings? We will be using straw from our neighbor who has huge dairy farm. Another question I had was, do we need to have floor (dirt) inside up higher than the foundation of the barn and if so by how much? Best way to seal/keep rodents out and the elements. I know that's a lot to ask... I just want it to be done where we have the best setup possible I'm so excited!! Thanks for all the help!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts