Flooring/Bedding in stalls

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by critterhavenfarm, Sep 28, 2009.

1. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    Hi all...

We are finishing up the barn...I'm working on the stalls now. The floors right now are bare ground, and I'm wanting something to put under the shavings/straw onto the bare ground. Should I use something like pea gravel, or sand, or what do you recommend in the stalls themselves? The main hall we plan on having a concrete pad poured this spring, but we'll have to get through the winter with what we have.

Susan

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Pea gravel is a really good thing for drainage. I actually had pea gravel with sand over it. We ended up putting about six to eight inches of sand down. Its really easy to clean up.
    beth

3. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    That is what I was thinking...for the drainage aspect...and the cushioning....to layer the two...

thanks!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I just have straight dirt floors -- but I live in a very sandy area (pine barrons of NJ) so everything drains in no time. Ad of course i put hay on top of that.

I like to put Sweet PDZ on the ground to absorb moisture that is left there from old bedding .

5. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm Guest

Feb 18, 2009
    What is sweet PDZ and where do you get it?

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    NO concrete!! I HATED the concrete floors I had in my barn. You waste sooooo much more shavings. Now I have a dirt floor and I love it. I use the PDZ to help keep things drier and cut down on the smell. You can get it at your grain store.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine offered Sweet PDZ to me instead of Lime because they said it wasnt caustic.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have actually decided that I like wooden floors--they are warmer than concrete or dirt, they stay dry, and are relatively easy to clean. I didn't use any bedding for most of the spring and summer this year--I just swept up berries and any urine that was there would just evaporate. There was/is no odor.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Beth, I was wondering hoe easy it was to clean? Does the urine smell get to be a little strong? I ask because we have thought about the pea gravel and sand. but i was thinking the urine will go down to the pea gravel but I was wondering if it smelled. I am sure it must or you would not recommend it.
    I do have the sand in the horse stalls. It is great except when the horses come from outside to go into the barn to pee. GGRRRRRR, that is a pain in the butt to clean.

10. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    We put down gravel in ours, but we're planning to add sand over that. Supposed to be better for preventing mastisis. I recently found out that a lot of the mega dairies use sand for bedding for that same reason.

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I love the sand, I do use the PDZ that Stacey mentioned over the top and then straw. I use granular rather then powder.
    AS for the Sand sweet goats, we made an overhang over the door that goes out about eight feet, this way new goats had somewhere to go out of the rain, my girls tend to push new ones out. I extended the sand out of the barn into the over hang, as well as sloping it down hill a bit. The drainage works great. There is a french drain at the bottem and it heads towards the ditch. My girls were going potty outside under the overhang.
    beth

12. Farmerdyl

Farmerdyl New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I just put about 4 inches of pea gravel than i put four inches of sand to keep it cleaner and the smell down and for some reason my goats been sleeping outside at night any idea why they been doing this?

13. Ursalesguru

Ursalesguru New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I use lots of dry pine see pics. I hope to put it in the garden in the spring it has worked well so far.

Attached Files:

14. nubians2

nubians2 New Member

I have pea gravel in one pasture and sandy soil in another including a barn in that one. The pea gravel is great when it is wet out to keep the mud down but it does get in their hooves even if they are just a little grown out. It is something you have to definitely keep up with. The other pasture and barn is great! I use bedding pellets to keep the odor down with hay/straw over it.

15. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Ursaleguru.
    Could you explain you "pine" a little further?
    I don't get what that is. Is is shredded?

16. Ursalesguru

Ursalesguru New Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Pine tree needles were we are we have tons. I just pile it on it soaks up water real well too... Most import it's free..

17. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    Very cool.

18. Tayet

Tayet Senior Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wisconsin, USA
    I have a concrete floor for my buck and my four does have a falling apart wood floor with lots of straw and hay on top.

19. KarmakeeFarm

KarmakeeFarm New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I love concrete floors-easy to clean-I use straw-very deep straw in MN-have never had an issue-
    Love the Sweet PDZ-amazing stuff-I buy mine at Tractor Supply-Fleet Farm has it as do The Country Store and Dells

20. Ninja Goats

Ninja Goats Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dairies do use sand with cows. But they're in free stalls, made so the cow walks in and lays down, her tail is almost in the isle. If they pee or poop it goes in the isle, not so much in the sand. The ends of the stalls get raked out daily. Isles get flushed or scraped. The sand is reclaimed and composted (sort of) to remove organics and then put back in the stalls. I'm not sure how clean sand stays if they pee/poop and lie in it without it getting scraped/composted/fresh sand added on a regular basis.